Spalted Pecan and Ambrosia Maple Mills and Shakers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kyaggie

kyaggie

Here are 2 sets of mills and shakers that I turned for some people. Both folks wanted a pepper mill, a salt mill for smoked sea salt and then the smaller salt shaker for regular table salt. The first set is spalted pecan and the second set is ambrosia maple. The mills are 10" tall, have a CrushGrind ceramic grinding mechanism and were finished with 1 coat of General Finish Seal-A-Cell and 4 coats of General Finish Arm-R-Seal with 0000 steel wool between coats.

Mike

Attachments

• SpPecanSet2.jpg
    SpPecanSet2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 272
  • AmMapSet.jpg
    AmMapSet.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 295
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kyaggie

Thanks for the nice comments! I really love that spalted pecan... it almost looks like chocolate has been dripped over ice cream! Doing mills for people is a great feeling because I know that they will use them as a part of their family meals for many years to come.

Mike

kyaggie

Hope they are labeled somehow, I know I would always be grabbing the wrong one.

Thanks! When I make mills out of wood that is more uniform in color where both mills look about the same, I imbed a beech (almost white) plug in the top of one mill and a walnut plug in the top of the other to distinguish which one is which. On these though, they were so distinctly different I didn't bother. For the ambrosia maples, the mill on the right was much darker and the ambrosia coloring was all the way around where the mill on the left only had the ambrosia coloring on one "side." Also the tops were very different in color.

Mike

Fishinbo

Wonderful set of mills and shakers! Like the spalted pecan more but the grain on the ambrosia maple is amazing. Great gift ideas for family and loved ones for sure.

Rick_G

Hope they are labeled somehow, I know I would always be grabbing the wrong one.

Thanks! When I make mills out of wood that is more uniform in color where both mills look about the same, I imbed a beech (almost white) plug in the top of one mill and a walnut plug in the top of the other to distinguish which one is which. On these though, they were so distinctly different I didn't bother. For the ambrosia maples, the mill on the right was much darker and the ambrosia coloring was all the way around where the mill on the left only had the ambrosia coloring on one "side." Also the tops were very different in color.

Mike

Good idea Mike, I make the odd mill and always try and get wood that is distinctly different. The plug in the top would certainly make it easier to come up with a matching set and still tell them apart easily.

Top Bottom