Spalted maple?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

I just got some great looking spalted maple from Daniel but I'm having problems with the color and need some advice. It starts off light in color but once I start turning it, it turns a little darker. Then when I get to the sanding it gets even darker, like a dark Grey. It even seems like water will turn it Grey. I've done two so far, the first one was the better of the two, but still to dark. I used that sandpaper that comes in the little box with 4 grits on a roll, I only sand to 320 and then switch to MM. I used thin CA glue on it before I even started to turn it, heard it makes it stronger, could that be the problem? Anyway, if you have any ideas, I sure could use some help. Thanks!

R.T.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

R.T.
I just took a blank I kept for myself and sanded it to 400 grit. and at least in the area where the spalting is. I see what you mean. one small end of the blank stayed light colored the rest showes splotchy dark areas. Having the advantage of being able to look at three unfinished sides. it looks to me like the rough surface of the blank is hiding the darker tones that are underneath. CA will darken the color of wood as well, wetting this pieces brings out more browns than grey though.
I did ot get a significant colr change though. more like the sanding helps what was already there show more.
I just tried sanding really hard on them to see if heat had anyting to do with it. and got more of this effect. I also was able to get rid of alot of it by wipeing the blank across my blue jeans. you may try cleaning them with denatured alcohol or evena plain old rag and see if it helps but I am wondering if this wood was treated with something that is reacting to the heat.

WoodChucker

Daniel,

Thanks for testing it! I'll play around with it some more and see what happens. The first pen didn't turn out to bad, but it sure doesn't have the look of spalted maple. If you come up with a way of keeping it from turning colors let me know and I'll do the same. Thanks again!

R.T.

WoodChucker

Wayne, I guess thats a possibility, but there light as a feather and sure seem like there dry enough. Thanks!

R.T.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
RT...one product of spalting is black powdery mildew. That could be the culprit! If it is, a thorough vacuuming of the blank before and during turning might help. Just a thought.

wwvine

I'm pretty new at this, so just my 2 cents...

I have had the same problem with spalted maple, but not every time. My wife said the grey "patina" looked good to her (except it wouldn't go with gold tone parts).

I decided that gun-metal grey parts would maximize the results. That helped for this one, but I'm still interested in understanding what is going on..

WW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom