Spalted Maple closed end Sedona roller.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

This is a Spalted Maple sterling silver Sedona roller ball. The wood is like lightly compressed saw dust so I bought some minwax wood stabilizer and soaked the blanks for a few days. It does not make them hard like a stabilized blank but it makes the wood workable with some added thin CA as it is turned. The finish is a least 10 coats CA sanded through all the colored pads and polished with Novus heavy and fine. Thanks for looking.:)

IMG_7819.JPG

IMG_7820.JPG

IMG_7821.JPG

IMG_7822.JPG

IMG_7823.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tage

Beautiful pen. It is darker than any spalted maple I've seen. I like the color. Is it this dark in person? I'm wondering if the stabilizer darkened the wood? Thanks for sharing.

SDB777

Outstanding results, considering what you said you had to do to get it there. And you answered a question of mine also....the Miniwax Wood Hardener stuff. Was thinking about using a vaccuum to pull that stuff into a few punky spalted pecan blanks I can't seem to throw into the burn-barrel......maybe I need to get some 'Juice' instead.

Finish is perfect!

Scott (thumbs up) B

Beautiful pen. It is darker than any spalted maple I've seen. I like the color. Is it this dark in person? I'm wondering if the stabilizer darkened the wood? Thanks for sharing.
Thanks everyone for the comments!
The wood is about that dark in shade but the color in the pic has more rust color then the actual pen does when holding it up to the PC screen. The pen has dark and light tans in it.

MartinPens

Great pen considering what you started with. Really turned out nice. I've used the wood hardener too but will never go back after getting a cactus juice vacuum chamber. If you don't know about those, just search cactus juice.
thanks for posting!

Top Bottom