Spalted Burl of Barnobia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

This exciting little burl was a back breaker to turn. The only piece of this extremely rare burl I could get my hands on was 5/8 thick. I have tons of it, just not in any good thickness. It is a real bear to deal with, as it is unstabilized and very brittle. So..here it is in titanium slim.

20071011205429_blanket%20029.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rhahnfl

Very nice looking pen!!! You might try cutting pieces as thick as you can and then laminating them together. Then you could stabilize with some polyurethane. Should look fine. Kind of like dymondwood.

Rifleman1776

Nice job. Glad to see you used quality plating for a Slim and a special wood. That wood 'barnobia'? Tell us more about it. And, if it is the remains of somebodys old barn, you can leave the room now. [:p]

workinforwood

You got it Gary. Barnobia is just a small country starting out with just a population of 1. The tax base is pretty darn high since that one person has to finance the entire country [:D]. Barnobia...er OSB, is what the country itself is built from! Ok...it's my pole barn / woodshop. [:eek:)]

Dang though...I'm telling you this stuff is rediculous to make a pen from. Touch it with a chisel and it rips apart. Had to make a 50 grit chisel to get it in the round and then an 80 grit chisel to get it down to the point of hand sanding. Lots and lots of CA too, which of course clogs the paper on my home-made chisels. It's pretty cool to look at, it has shimmer spots just like an acrylic blank with white in it would have. I'm guessing those are spots where the wood is super thin and the glue behind the wood is highlighting it. I'm not interested in making too many of these. Now you know why I didn't try and glue it together to be thicker. You can buy it thicker, but no point in gluing it to be thicker as it would then likely have voids in it. I just found a scrap in the corner and decided to go with it. I'll be happy to sell anyone some blanks if they want for only a buck a piece. buy 10 get 2 free! [:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom