Spalted Birch Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NittanyLion

NittanyLion

I got my hands on some spalted birch burl. It dulled my chainsaw, my bandsaw, and my skew....sand and small pebbles inside the burl....but it really looks good.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 354
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You mentioned your skew. Just a random question... What are your preferred tools? Your transitions (blanks/fittings) look nice, so I'm just wondering... :wink:

I may try to do a poll after the B Bash on this question... Just because I'm nosy!

NittanyLion

You mentioned your skew. Just a random question... What are your preferred tools? Your transitions (blanks/fittings) look nice, so I'm just wondering... :wink:

I may try to do a poll after the B Bash on this question... Just because I'm nosy!

Mark,

I use a Stihl MS 290 and a 1" oval skew. Nothing else except for an old pieced together bandsaw and some cactus juice. I do not own a carbide set, and put away my spindle gouges months ago after destroying too many blanks. My oval skew is my favorite turning tool....razor sharp all the time is a must.

Sweet burl there Steve. If you never use your tools you won't need to sharpen or replace. Those pens came out great. Sharpen your tools and use them again.... ;>)

OZturner

Beautiful Pens Steve,
Those Blanks are Spectacular,
Your Fit and Finish is Excellent, inspite of all the rubbish and tool damage.
Congratulations,
Brian.

SDB777

I'm having a hard time thinking about the reasons why this timber would be so hard on equipment. Having cut a lot of different types of spalted timber, I haven't ever had dull chainsaw chain(well, there was one time when I cut through a chunk of spalted Pecan and hit a chunk of concrete)....

We use to cut a lot of birch in the New England area for heating with, and I had cut plenty that was spalted.....just sort of weird I guess.

The timber makes for a stunner...that's for sure!!!!

Scott (how much did you cut) B

NittanyLion

Scott,

First sign of a problem was the sparks off the chainsaw....then the bandsaw....then I thought I cut out the "garbage". When turning, my skew went dull very fast. You can see why in this close up. The black you see is actually sand/ground limestone. I snagged this off the bank of a local trout stream. I cutt off a large burly rootball at the base. It had several large rocks inside, the size of baseballs. The tree just grew around it as high waters from the creek fed more sediment into it over the years.

In the end, it's the best piece of Birch I've ever cut.

I'm having a hard time thinking about the reasons why this timber would be so hard on equipment. Having cut a lot of different types of spalted timber, I haven't ever had dull chainsaw chain(well, there was one time when I cut through a chunk of spalted Pecan and hit a chunk of concrete)....

We use to cut a lot of birch in the New England area for heating with, and I had cut plenty that was spalted.....just sort of weird I guess.

The timber makes for a stunner...that's for sure!!!!

Scott (how much did you cut) B

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 87
Top Bottom