Spalted Applewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rmartin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmartin

If you'll permit, I'd like to share a wood story. I'm a subscriber to a photoshop elements board where some of the nicest people on the net learn to use the very complex photography program. I posted some of my pen pictures, no prices and no link to my site, just to show my photography skills, or lack there of. A few days later I received in the mail two slabs of Spalted Applewood with a note saying they had seen my pens and thought I might like to have this wood to make some pens. Well, I was able to get 24 large blanks and some end pieces which, before I became a pen turner would have gone in the burn barrel, but now will become beautiful slimlines.

I've turned six cigars so far, and the best one of those is in the mail to Ken for engraving to be sent with an assortment of other pens to my wood benefactor as a gift of appreciation. Here are some pics of the Spalted Applewood:

200762115445_blanks.jpg

200762115523_GoldTi.jpg

200762115553_blackTi.jpg

200762115622_SlimBlanks.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hrigg

That's cool. I like stories like that. A great looking pen, too. Got a limb off a plum tree I'm cutting up for pens, and a couple crab apple trees I'm hoping will fall down soon.

sfines

That's really cool! (Both the story and the pen)- I just made myself an El Grande with some orange wood off my orange tree- it's almost bone white!

Love the story and pens.
A few days ago I was showing a coworker how I bid for wood on e-bay. I just threw out a stupid bid with two hours left, knowing I wouldnt win, for 6 grapefruit blanks?!. Lo and behold, I won the bid and what a nice set of blanks they are. I would have never bid on them had I not been showing him how to do so. Sometimes we're just lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom