Spalted Amboyna Burl???????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

Hey everyone,

While cutting and milling an amboyna burl blank w/sapwood for a cigar pen, I noticed something. Now I don't know if this is what this is, but I'll let you be the judge. The blue marks on the pic are just to highlight the area. Do you think this could be spalting? I've never seen spalting in amboyna before. Thanks for all responses to help get this "problem" straightened away!:biggrin:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

I think it is spalting... I've had amboyna sapwood with similar coloration that I thought was spalting.

Rifleman1776

Sure could be. That would benefit from stabilizing. If interested, cut the blanks, send to me, I'll stable and keep some for the job and send rest back to you. Or send the big hunk, I'll cut into blanks keep a few more and send rest back. Lemme know.

JBCustomPens

Sure could be. That would benefit from stabilizing. If interested, cut the blanks, send to me, I'll stable and keep some for the job and send rest back to you. Or send the big hunk, I'll cut into blanks keep a few more and send rest back. Lemme know.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm set up to do stabilizing at my shop. Thanks a lot for the offer though.:)

It sounds like it is quite possible this really is spalting. I would have never expected spalting in amboyna, but I'm certainly not upset to find some!:biggrin:

Nolan

Yes it is although not super common it does happen in amboyna (I have a whole stash that actually got into the burl / eyes too)

So I guess the consensus is that is is spalting. Thanks and if anyone has a different opinion, feel free to post here. Thanks everyone!:)

Top Bottom