Spalted Alder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tseger

I just got in some pen blanks I ordered off of ebay and there was 4 spalted alder freebies included. I have never turned Alder, and was wondering if there was anything I needed to know. It seems extremely lite and really not very stable at all. Any advice appreciated.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
It will turn easilly and there will be a lot of tear-out. Fortunately it sands easilly, so leave some extra wood for the sandpaper. Use lots of CA glue to harden the wood before finishing.

Dario

Here is a Spalted x-cut Alder that I turned a few weeks back. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15470

I did one without stabilizing it and had tear out while drilling. I glued it and while turning, the tear out "surfaced". Those are with my pile of shame right now [:I]

I stabilized this one with plexi-acetone mix before drilling and it came out very nicely. I still doused it with thin CA inside the hole and re-drill before I glued the tube. Again used thin CA as sanding sealer after getting it close to final dimensions.

I think it was worth the trouble though.

Good luck!!!

tseger

Thanks fellas!! Dario those are some fine
looking pens. I must have missed that post.
I got a few others that I gotta get done and then I'm gonna give the alder a whirl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom