Southwest Missouri IAP Picnic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Just an advance notice of an IAP Picnic in Springfield, Missouri on Saturday, August 16 from 11:00-3:00 at Lake Springfield Park. More details later but wanted everyone in driving distance to get this on your calendar. We plan to have things like blank swaps, displays, things to buy & sell, and some demo's.
Lunch will be prepared by the "Smokin in the Dark" championship barbeque team. The "Smokin In The Dark" team are winners of 12 State Championships and Grand Champion of the prestigious American Royal International Invitational in Kansas City. Check them out at www.smokininthedark.com.
The picnic will be hosted by IAP members Hayseedboy, MikeInMo, Hughbie, Chiphunters, Woodman928 and Edman2. We'll be looking for folks to lead the demo's. More details in early summer. Hope you can come and enjoy the fun!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeInMo

I know we have members here in the MO bootheel, Columbia/Jeff City area, STL area, Mountain Home area, NE OK, KC maybe? and probably other points close by. All are welcome. It would be good to get to meet some of you. Otherwise we will all get too full and uncomfortable eating Larry's championship <s>whining</s> winning bbq because we can't have leftovers.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Frank, I hope you can come. What could be more important than meeting pen turners, barbeque, a trip to Grizzly and a chance to visit your family in Springfield! :D:D Maybe it will work out, I hope so.

Hayseedboy

Update!

I don't want to steal Master Freddie's thunder but we have now reserved the facility up until 8 pm. This will give us more time to set up and tear down but also will give us a little more flexibility in our overall get together.

Remember there will be turning demo's even if it is me showing you what not to do :) Along with bbq (this one I got figured out) and more than likely some drawings and much penspinning story telling!

Just wanted to update everyone!

Larry

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by TowMater

Freddie,

Thanks for posting this, I'll have to put it on my calender. About the only thing I could demo is how to be a complete doofus:D.

ROTFLMAO...that's by far the funniest thing I've read in a while!

Thanks man :D

You have no idea the visions I'm having run through my head right now...I'm going to be chuckling all night.

"...Now, this here will be our straightener outer...anyone seen the rounder?..."

:D[:p]

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for the bump Larry. Of course what he didn't say was that his championship barbeque team "Smokin in the Dark" just won the Bass Pro "Rock n Ribs" cook off in Springfield againt 56 teams from 8 states! Way to go Smokin in the Dark! If you can come to the Picnic you are going to get world class barbeque to eat!! If you can come and would be willing to demonstrate some phase of pen turning, let me know. Come and bring your families. We're gonna have a great time!

ashaw

I will be in that area June 1st but not August. We are picking up a new dog. We had to put down my shop dog this past March. Maybe next year I will have help making pens.:D

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Todd, As long as it's chocolate it's ok!:D Actually, we have not worked out all the details yet but attenders probably will not have to bring in any food. Our tentative plans are to sell a bbq sandwich plate for just enough to recover the costs. Might ask for 2 liter soft drinks or something like that. We will have all those things worked out in the next few weeks and will post them on this thread. We are looking for folks that might like to donate some door prizes (paid trips to Hawaii or pen blanks whichever you want) ;) Our planning team will be getting together soon to work out all this stuff. Looking forward to it!!
Hey Alan, I'll keep the dog until August and you can come pick him up at the picnic:D:D

TowMater

Freddie,

I'll donate some pen blanks if you guarantee I win the trip to Hawaii!!

Actually I will be donating some pen blanks for door prizes. I'll probably have some sets for newbie turners if any of them show up (another donation).

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Well, some great news! Wood-n-Whimsies has signed on as our first corporate sponsor for the August picnic. Tim and Tracey have agreed to furnish some nice door prizes, bring some products to sell at "picnic prices" and join us for the fun! It's great to have them on board. Just one more great reason to join us on August 16!

If you are not familiar with Wood-n-Whimsies check them out at
www.woodnwhimsies.com. You will love their prices.

cigarman

FreddieP, Are you familar with The Wood Gallery in Springfield? I was there Wed. and mentioned the picnic. I don't know if he will do anything but if you are in the area you might stop by.

hughbie

freddie, i will bring a few blanks as well for give-a-ways or whatever else it could be used for.....trade.....
be sure to keep me in mind......
8pm huh? darn good idea....
CONGRATS TO 'SMOKIN' IN THE DARK'!!!!!

this is gonna be fun!

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Tom,
Yes, I am very familiar with the Wood Gallery. Ray lets us have our Southwest Missouri Woodturners Club meeting at his shop. We will be talking to him about the picnic. We are going to check with some other local folks about helping sponsor as well.
Hugh, as one of picnic hosts, I'm planning on getting more work out of you than some blanks!:D (but, we'll take the blanks):D[:p]:D

MikeInMo

For those who don't know, hayseedboy is a world renown, highly decorated bbq king (but not b.b. king), so even if you just want to eat, show up.

Check out his team's website at http://www.smokininthedark.com/. Since they are apparently modest (or too lazy to update their website :D), I will tell you that they just won the overall championship at Rock'n Ribs here in Springield a couple of weeks ago, and more notably they are past overall champions at The American Royal in KC (aka the World Series of BBQ).

Now where's my cut Larry?

Hayseedboy

Hey Mike,

Where's my cut??? Man... where's the love. How's about I get you some free bbq? I'm available August 16th around lunch time you?

LR

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Don't know what I can do about itchy chiggers but I did visit with the manager of the Springfield Harbor Freight (Dave - a penturner himself)and he has tentatively agreed to furnish some door prizes at the picnic. Way to go Harbor Freight!! Our planning team will be getting together in the next few days to complete the details of the event and we will post all the good news before too long. Just don't forget, August 16 at Springfield Lake Park.

Jared - Hey guy, it's only 698 miles - a mere 11 hour drive. Where's your dedication? :D;) Wish you could come as well.

MikeInMo

Originally posted by edman2

Our planning team will be getting together in the next few days to complete the details of the event and we will post all the good news before too long.

Hey Freddie - Were you going to tell the planning team that we're meeting, or was this post the announcement? :D

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by MikeInMo

Hey Freddie - Were you going to tell the planning team that we're meeting, or was this post the announcement? :D

All in good time, all in good time!:D Translation (after I finish with the 200 VBS kids this week). I'll send a note in a day or so.:D:D

MikeInMo

Originally posted by edman2
All in good time, all in good time!:D Translation (after I finish with the 200 VBS kids this week). I'll send a note in a day or so.:D:D

Better you than me for that one. Some people have a gift for that. The rest of us know better.

Keep us posted.

Did you ride out the storm earlier this week ok?

massmans

I am from Jefferson City and planning on attending. I was wondering if anyone has spoken to Hut Products www.hutproducts.com about a donation for the event. They are located about 10 miles from Columbia and if they wanted to save on shipping costs, I would volunteer to pick up the package.

Also wanted to know if there is going to be any costs for attending?

thanks for putting this on.

DocStram

Hmmmmm .... after reading this thread I got to thinking. Wouldn't it be a nice gesture if the Southwest Missouri IAP members spent the whole day turning pens to send to the Georgia Bubbasville IAP members?;):D:D

PS Oh yeah, we'll take some of that BBQ also. ;);)

TowMater

Looks like there will be 5 of us attending.

My Father will be attending with myself, my lovely bride of 15 years and my 2 angelic children[}:)][}:)][}:)].

Todd

Hayseedboy

Hey Todd,

Glad to hear that you will be bringing your children. Oddly enough there is a salt mine within walking distance of the pavilion and they love young slave labor. My two youngest rug rats will be there as well. 8 & 13

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

larry

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by massmans

I am from Jefferson City and planning on attending. I was wondering if anyone has spoken to Hut Products www.hutproducts.com about a donation for the event. They are located about 10 miles from Columbia and if they wanted to save on shipping costs, I would volunteer to pick up the package.

Also wanted to know if there is going to be any costs for attending?

thanks for putting this on.

Stephen,
No cost. Check out this thread for the latest information:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38442
Have not contacted HUT but that's a good idea. I'll let you know. Glad you are coming. It's gonna be a lot of fun!

Doc,
While I'm sure the Georgia bunch could use help with their pens :D the BBQ is a closely guarded secret and is only served under heavy guard! However, I will be glad to post following the picnic and tell everyone just how good it was!:D[}:)];).

Top Bottom