SOUTH DAKOTA TRU-QUARTER™

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from seamus7227

seamus7227

Just finished this one tonight! Maine and Hawaii are next in line! Hope ya'll like, especially (D. Oliver).Any comments welcome! Good or bad.

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Attachments

• 2011-09-11 22.41.03-1.jpg
    2011-09-11 22.41.03-1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Seamus I know you call all of your quarters Tru-Quarters, but this is a true quarter. This what all other quarters aspire to be. I know when all those quarters are waiting to be stamped, they are all praying "Let me be a South Dakota quarter" Great job! I really like how you tied everything together with the wheat.

babyblues

Seamus, have you considered making pewter castings of your Tru-Quarters after you're done scrolling them? You can make silicone molds to cast the pewter. I know you can use rubber because people have been using vulcanized rubber to cast lead figurines for decades. Pewter would be soft enough to bend around the pen tube and you'd be able to replicate without destroying more quarters.

seamus7227

Seamus, have you considered making pewter castings of your Tru-Quarters after you're done scrolling them? You can make silicone molds to cast the pewter. I know you can use rubber because people have been using vulcanized rubber to cast lead figurines for decades. Pewter would be soft enough to bend around the pen tube and you'd be able to replicate without destroying more quarters.

People have mentioned this before, but i like destroying the quarters:biggrin::eek:. Besides, it wouldnt be a Tru-Quarter™ if it was made from pewter:rolleyes:

This is art to me, and the pen tubes are my canvas! In my mind, as crazy as that may be, I strive to make things that are unique, real, and that create the thoughts "how did he do that" when my work is viewed. I'm not perfect, I do make mistakes, like we all do. But I do believe that we are our own worst critics! I hope I dont wear everyone out with showing off these quarters or any other coins I may cut. Just want to share how they look! thanks for viewing

Last edited:

D.Oliver

People have mentioned this before, but i like destroying the quarters:biggrin::eek:. Besides, it wouldnt be a Tru-Quarter™ if it was made from pewter:rolleyes:

This is art to me, and the pen tubes are my canvas! In my mind, as crazy as that may be, I strive to make things that are unique, real, and that create the thoughts "how did he do that" when my work is viewed. I'm not perfect, I do make mistakes, like we all do. But I do believe that we are our own worst critics! I hope I dont wear everyone out with showing off these quarters or any other coins I may cut. Just want to share how they look! thanks for viewing

I agree that you need to use real coins, just like bullet pens should be made from real casings and bullets. Of course, with the tear you're on with these quarters, there's probably a student out there doing their PhD Finance thesis on how Seamus is single handedly affecting US currency!:biggrin:

seamus7227

D.Oliver;1281787 Of course said:
how Seamus is single handedly affecting US currency[/COLOR]!:biggrin:

Probably right! This should make the value of these states quarters go up, being that I am dropping the amount that are considered usable:biggrin:, just kidding though, I know that wouldn't change anything. This past weekend I had the opportunity to cut out a few dollar coins, but cant show them until after "some contest" is over:biggrin:, a select few have gotten personal sneek peeks:rolleyes:

D.Oliver

I would have went with the South Dakota coin over the dollar coins. Dollar coins only have one president on them. SD quarters have 4!:biggrin:

glycerine

I believe he would end up in a federal penitentiary...

Woodlvr

Derek I am happy to see that you are NOT prejudiced:tongue::wink: That coin does look great. I bet that a dollar coin blank would be great looking also, cannot wait to get a peek at one.

lorbay

Seamus, how thick are these again?? and do you get the thickness before you scroll saw??? Sweet BTW

Lin.

babyblues

I believe he would end up in a federal penitentiary...

Not necessarily. Read the copyright laws relating to replicas of US coins.

seamus7227

I can't see that it would matter if I duplicated them, with as much of the coin is cut out, would it really make a difference. But, with that said, I will never replicate the coins I use with fake coins, its just not the same to me.

glycerine

I can't see that it would matter if I duplicated them, with as much of the coin is cut out, would it really make a difference. But, with that said, I will never replicate the coins I use with fake coins, its just not the same to me.

Well at first I thought that it would be the same as reproducing any work of art. I assumed that someone owns the "design" on those quarters. I could be wrong though because as babyblues pointed out, it looks like the law is pretty slack about replicating coins. I always thought that was couterfeiting, but it looks like the government is ok with it as long as you clearly mark it with "copy".

thewishman

[
I hope I dont wear everyone out with showing off these quarters or any other coins I may cut. Just want to share how they look! thanks for viewing

Seamus, you'll be able to tell when people don't want to see any more of your quarters - your "views" will drop. You have 188 views on this one, in a less visited forum, in less than 24 hours. We haven't even made it to the prime evening viewing time.

Keep 'em coming! I love to see them!

Check in later tonight and see how many views there are at the 24 hour mark. You'll see that a lot of us want to see more.

jaeger

Very nice work!
You must be totally confident in you clear casting. One air bubble and the whole coin is toast.
I'd like to see this one cast when you have it ready. I think it would be cool with the state colors, should give it kind of a retro look.

240px-Flag_of_South_Dakota_svg.png

Last edited:

seamus7227

Very nice work!
You must be totally confident in you clear casting. One air bubble and the whole coin is toast.
I'd like to see this one cast when you have it ready. I think it would be cool with the state colors, should give it kind of a retro look.

Thanks

I have my days:frown: when things dont go well, typically when i rush into casting. But otherwise, it has taken quite some time to figure out the best way to cast these coins. You are right about one little air bubble, they stand out like sore thumbs, hours of work down the drain, so it only behooves me to take my time and do it right the first time!

I believe D.Oliver has first dibs on this quarter so hopefully when he gets it turned down, he will take pics and post.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

wizard

Beautiful job Seamus!!!! You must have the steady hands of a surgeon and eyes like an eagle to get that precise:eek:. You never cease to amaze! Thanks for showing... and the preview:wink:. Doc

seamus7227

Beautiful job Seamus!!!! You must have the steady hands of a surgeon and eyes like an eagle to get that precise:eek:. You never cease to amaze! Thanks for showing... and the preview:wink:. Doc

I wouldnt go that far Doc! I do have the help of a magnifying lens headset:rolleyes:
Do surgeons use those:tongue: thanks to all for the compliments!

seamus7227

Well, here is the finished blank! I still need to barrel trim the lower barrel before shipping but otherwise its complete

2011-10-11 13.09.54-1.jpg

D.Oliver

Congratulations Seamus, you have now reached the pinnacle of pen blank craftsmanship. Make sure and document this; you may never reach this level of craftsmanship and beauty again. (Disclaimer: The author of this comment may be slightly bias, however it's so slight that without this disclaimer you probably wouldn't have noticed.)

Papa mark

Seamus, you continue to amaze us all with the talent that you have. I can only imagine what the finished pen will look like. Can't wait to see it.

Great job.

Top Bottom