Source for spent shells

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Anyone know where you can get spent 30 cal or bigger shells bulk. They do not need to be polished I will use steel wool and brasso to get them all cleaned up. They do not even need to be drilled. Just ready to be drilled and made into a pen. I want to try my hand at a few different ideas I have and do not want to ruin a pen kit to try it. The more the better.

Thanks
Jesse

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
want something a little smaller ,, i have some 7.62 you can have for small flat rate box postage. allen

Fat Boy

I get most of my brass from Bass Pro Shop, they have a fair price on the empty casings and they have no primer to deal with. 20 bucks or so for 50 30.06 shells plus they are always in great shape when i get them.

KenV

If you google for "once fired cases" you will find a huge number of vendors who sell casing. Most of these are from shooting ranges (including military ranges).

Military casings predominate and sales by the thousands is normal. They sell for small margin over brass recycle prices and for the lowest price they are "range run" with dents crushed cases, etc.

For a higher price, you can get them in better quality, resized and deprimed etc.

It is easier by far to get nickel plated cases from Midway and move ahead. You pay more but can get quantities in down to 20 in some sizes -- 50s in others.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have Pmed each of you willing to donate to my ideas.

Midway I believe they say they are unprimed not sure, going to experiment and then look over the websites for the best deal. If they are primed is it hard to take out or can you just drill it out?

Thanks again
Jesse

trapper

Hi jesse
can i join you on this one........ i just need say 5 so i can try something like replicating them in aluminite etc like you dont want to ruin kits to try this
Steve
Anyone know where you can get spent 30 cal or bigger shells bulk. They do not need to be polished I will use steel wool and brasso to get them all cleaned up. They do not even need to be drilled. Just ready to be drilled and made into a pen. I want to try my hand at a few different ideas I have and do not want to ruin a pen kit to try it. The more the better.

Thanks
Jesse

navycop

If they are primed is it hard to take out or can you just drill it out?

Thanks again
Jesse
You can drill them out with 7mm (which I use). Someone else chime in on something different.

if they are primed, I wouldn't drill them. A live primer should be removed with a de-priming die.

Roy
The ones I am talking about have been shot, but the primer is still in the rear. You can see where the firing pin hit. I use that as a center point for the drill.

Sylvanite

A live primer should be removed with a de-priming die.
[size=+2]Don't do this! It is unsafe.[/size]

A depriming die is for removing a spent primer, not a live one. The only safe way to remove a live primer is to load the shellcase in an appropriate firearm and shoot it (observing all safety precautions just as if it were a complete round). Do not punch out or drill out a live primer. Do not depend on oil to render a primer inert.

If you have a shellcase with a live primer and can't reload or fire it, you can either:
  1. Crush the case mouth with a pair of pliers and discard it, or if you really need to use that specific case,
  2. Send me a pm and I'll arrange to deprime it for you.
If you have a shellcase with a fired primer, you can drill it as is, but you'll get better concentricity if you punch out the primer first. The tooling for this is not very expensive.

If you can't find suitable processed brass elsewhere, send me a pm and I'll set you up with some.

Sincerely,
Eric

Top Bottom