Source for "rare" wood blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

itsme_timd

Can anyone suggest a good source for rare wood blanks? I'm specifically looking for Ancient Kauri and Irish Bog Oak - plus anything else that will bring a story to the pens?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

itsme_timd

Andrew, thanks for the suggestion. I did the same but only 2 offer them for sale. One is larger quantities and I placed an order with the other 2 days again but cannot get a call or email to confirm they even received the order... the quest continues.

Russianwolf

How fast do you need them?

I will have a bunch of Bog Oak in about a month. I have a couple pieces right now if you really need them fast. I got some Kauri from another member on this site. Depending on how much you need I might be able to help there too, but I don't have much of it.

There is an outfit out of NZ that sells Ancient Kauri. You'll know you've found the site if they have a picture of their internal staircase cut from an portion of a Kauri Stump that they built their offices around. http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz/index.php/extract_raw_logs/kauri_log_staircase

Forgot to mention that Bog Oak is the harder of the two to find a vendor for. You will see it on ebay fairly regularly ranging in prices up to about $20 per blank, more frequently in the $10 per blank range. I've been working for the better part of a year on establishing a vendor for this stuff since my plans for next year include doing a celtic festival which I'd like to have about 100 Bog Oak pens for.

Last edited:

itsme_timd

Hi Mike, I'd like to get some Kauri soon but can be patient, I have a Majestic that is begging to be made and I'd like to use the Kauri for it.

I only need a couple/few of each right now and can wait to source the rest.

Thanks for the info! If you can help any I'd appreciate it!

louisbry

I have some black walnut that I reclaimed from a civil war site in Tullahoma, TN. The wood came from the site that was Gen Braggs headquarters during the civil war.

Rifleman1776

Keep in mind the bog oak is only small blanks, under 3/4". Suitable only for small pens like Slimlines.
If this is wrong and larger blanks are available, I would appreciate that info being posted.

workinforwood

You want rare wood with a story, how about taking a walk through the backyard? Exotic does not mean it doesn't come from the yard. Exotic is wood that isn't cut in large quantities like pine and oak. Some woods that people call exotic are not at all. Purpleheart is not exotic, it is mass produced domestic lumber. Apple would be exotic, although not as exotic as some other woods. You walk through the yard, down the street, you find dogwoods, apricots, plums, sumac and god knows what other gnarly bushes are around and all those are exotic. A pen made of a paw paw tree that your grandma used to make ice cream from is exotic and there's a story that goes with it too.

Top Bottom