Source for non-domed resin cabochons?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeporter02

Does anyone have a good source for resin (or other material that can be turned with hss tools) cabochons that are not half domed?

I'm looking for colored, circular, cabochons that I can inlay and then turn/sand down flush with the wood. I've got a good source for abalone shell cabochons, but everything else seems to be sold exclusively as half domes with flat bottoms.

I could just buy pen blanks and turn them down, but since I'm looking for several that are 3 MM in size, it seems like a waste of a lot of material to turn a pen blank into a couple dozen 3mm cabochons.

Thanks in advance for any leads!

Jay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I would very easily turn down whatever you want from pen blanks. Then you can cut to whatever size needed. yes there is waste but you get what you want and not what you have to settle for. beside a couple blanks is a few bucks or make your own and get some small tubes and pour what you want.

jeporter02

Have you considered making your own with polymer clay?
I'd like them to be more irridescent or translucent - along the lines of an acrylic with pearlescent powder. Something more gemstone-y. My understanding is that polymer clay would dry exclusively as a "flat" or solid color - no translucence. But admittedly I've not worked with polymer clay - am I missing something?

jeporter02

I would very easily turn down whatever you want from pen blanks. Then you can cut to whatever size needed. yes there is waste but you get what you want and not what you have to settle for. beside a couple blanks is a few bucks or make your own and get some small tubes and pour what you want.
I may just run with this. I've ordered two pen blanks for just this purpose in case I cannot find a source of precut/milled cabochons. Thanks!

Top Bottom