SOmetimes it just feels good to get something accomplished

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Haynie

Haynie

I'm on spring break which means I have had only one job this week instead of two. This gave me time to get something done I have been wanting to do for a few months. Up until this week if we needed to work high we stood on a pallet and hoped we did not walk off the side. I decided we needed something safer, but it had to cost next to nothing. So for 50 bucks I made this. Drill pipe, a broken lumber rack, messed up 1/2 inch ply wood, and 50 dollars worth of 2x6 1/8 inch channel. See those 3 doors off to the side. Now I can safely paint those and the other 37 just like them.

Yeah it is ugly
Yeah it is nothing to brag about
I started it and finished it. Right now that is enough to make me proud.

By the way, the platform is being held by my assistant Old Yeller. Every man needs a forklift.

Attachments

• 2014-03-22 15.10.41.jpg
    2014-03-22 15.10.41.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 334
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

What did you use for Fork wells?

2x6 extruded channel. Thick walled stuff. That is where the 50 bucks came from. The forks are 1 inch at their thickest part and 5 inches wide. I have two wood wedges to jam in to keep it from torquing that extra amount when I am on one side.

Thanks for the complements. This is only my second welding project. To make sure the welds would hold I put it up about 6 inches off the ground and bounced on it for quite a while, each joint. Then stood on the hand rails. Drug it off the forks by the hand rails. It'll hold. The welder who rents space from us also approved it.

I am the only "employee". Other folks, who rent light industrial space from us, use the forklift sometimes. They may pitch in some when the painting starts. I am pretty use to doing everything around here.

rherrell

Looking good Mark!

I would put a chain across the back, that way once you get in you can fasten the chain so you won't accidentally fall off if you happen to back up too far.

A safety chain from the platform and tied off to the fork lift is also a good idea. I had a 40' fall at work so maybe I'm just a LITTLE paranoid!:biggrin::wink:

Don't forget to add some tubing on the side by the forklift to avoid anyone from stepping off that side of the platform. It someone gets hurt OSHA would really bust you'll up. The other thing is it has to be welded and tested to ensure the welds are good enough to support any load they would incur. Great thought, it is better than nothing.

A manlift and proper harnesses are the proper way to go.

Stay safe.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Just wondering. are there channels on the bottom for the forks to fit into? Dooooh! Never mind you already said there is.

Last edited:

Haynie

Looking good Mark!

I would put a chain across the back, that way once you get in you can fasten the chain so you won't accidentally fall off if you happen to back up too far.

That's what I forgot. Been scratching my head trying to figure out what I missed.

Jim, I lifted it about 10 inches off the ground and bounced all over it for quite some time. Then I drug it off the forks to check if the hand rails would hold and if the welds would hold. Everything checked out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom