Something Old & Something New (Pic Heavy)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Took the day off from casting today and decided to actually turn something for a change. Started the day with some vintage bakelite I bought from Roy at ClassicNib. Had some major pucker action when cutting the blank up. Since it's 1 1/4" in diameter I took a chance and cut it for 2 kits. The other is still in the prep stage so keep an eye out for that. Reverse painted it a bright blue. Turned like a dream! Finish is MM to 12000 and polished with PlastX.

100_3014587x700.jpg
100_3019650x700.jpg

Your Closeup:

100_3018700x647.jpg

Next is a Chrome Baron with one of my home cast blanks. I played around with a couple new colors and here's the result. It looks a bit off without that extra chrome centerband but I think I have an extra one in my parts bin.

100_2955589x700.jpg
100_2959629x700.jpg
100_2966592x700.jpg
100_2972627x700.jpg

Last is one of my newer blanks. I'm all out of zens right now so I went for a Black Ti Stretch FP from LauLau. I upgraded the nib to a semiflex steel nib from Heritance. Soon I'll be upgrading to some very nice Bock nibs! It's hard to see in these pics, but there is a violet undertone to the blank.

100_2984595x700.jpg
100_2996663x700.jpg
100_3008554x700.jpg

Closeups (Second pic is without a diffused flash to really show the colors):

100_2992700x633.jpg
100_2994700x603.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Jonathon these are fantastic. The third of this set is my favorite. It reminds me of the show "Ghost Rider" when the "demon" was demolished and all the souls were released in a swirl of mist. I think I would name this one Screamin Demon. Look closely at the blank from the bottom up in the last photo - you should be able to see what I mean I think.

The other two are nice as well. You did good with the "pucker factor" obviously!:biggrin: Is it my imagination or can you still see slightly through the bottom portion? I'm catching a reflection of something in the second photo toward the middle/lower portion. It could just be a hint of the drill marks too - I know that can be an issue on the translucent stuff.

Keep em coming.
Linda

SLICKYINC

I really like that last one. I have a couple of those stretch kits, but no bushings. Lau Lau are out of them. Do you know if anything else is compatible? Im not going to attempt a free turn yet.

BSea

The 1st 2 are nice. But the 3rd one is a masterpiece. It may not make your top 3, but it's definitely up there in my book.

And SLICKYINV, you can get JohnnyCNC bushings to turn between centers. He had some about a week ago. I know because I bought a set.

seamus7227

Hold the PHONE!!! Unbelievable again!!!Wow, Wow, Wow, (jaw broke off and hit the floor from dropping so fast!) Amazing work Jonathon!

SteveG

Truly great job on all three. I am particularly interested in your results with the bakelite. I also have some of the bakelite from Roy, and intend to attempt two pens out of each blank. My guess is that the greatest degree of "pucker" will or has occurred with the drilling of the other part of the bakelite blank, assuming a larger pen. I am curious just how large you will go. Not much room for error on a 1.25" blank that has just been sitting around getting old for a lot of years.

wizard

Jonathon, You never cease to amaze! I like all of them but the third one literally looks out of this world and on some nebula in another galaxy. Outstanding. Thanks for showing! Doc

ToddMR

Jonathan I like all of them. You truly are an artist with your casting. Your blanks are so amazing. The zen and the slim are my favorites. Nicely done!

Brooks803

Jonathon these are fantastic. The third of this set is my favorite. It reminds me of the show "Ghost Rider" when the "demon" was demolished and all the souls were released in a swirl of mist. I think I would name this one Screamin Demon. Look closely at the blank from the bottom up in the last photo - you should be able to see what I mean I think.

The other two are nice as well. You did good with the "pucker factor" obviously!:biggrin: Is it my imagination or can you still see slightly through the bottom portion? I'm catching a reflection of something in the second photo toward the middle/lower portion. It could just be a hint of the drill marks too - I know that can be an issue on the translucent stuff.

Keep em coming.
Linda

Thanks Linda, I do see what you mean. I think it is drill marks. That bakelite is totally clear so any misstep is noticeable. I did sand the inside best as possible but I obviously didn't do a perfect job. It's not as noticeable in hand though, I think the flash really brings it out.

Now on that last pen...I like the idea...maybe call it soul sucker! :ghost::eek:

I really like that last one. I have a couple of those stretch kits, but no bushings. Lau Lau are out of them. Do you know if anything else is compatible? Im not going to attempt a free turn yet.

There are a couple options. This is same kit as the Grand Torino that arizona silhouette sells so you can buy those bushings. Another option which will need calipers is you can use the bushings for a Jr. Gent II lower barrel. The size for the stretch is .512" - .478" and the Jr. Gent II lower barrel is .512" - .480" So you can use those and just check with calipers for that .002" difference.

Truly great job on all three. I am particularly interested in your results with the bakelite. I also have some of the bakelite from Roy, and intend to attempt two pens out of each blank. My guess is that the greatest degree of "pucker" will or has occurred with the drilling of the other part of the bakelite blank, assuming a larger pen. I am curious just how large you will go. Not much room for error on a 1.25" blank that has just been sitting around getting old for a lot of years.

The pucker isn't any less with the cutting or drilling! I cut and drilled mine for a 7mm kit (shown) and the other is a Jr. size. Not sure which kit I'm using yet (Gent II, Statesman, Majestic, Emperor). You really have to be dialed in bc there is NO room for mistake. The way mine was done is I cut first drilled second, but I don't know if that was the best way. I did have two pieces crack during drilling (fixed easily enough). Best of luck either way! I don't think I'll be doing it like this again. I took a chance this time and got lucky, there's not enough of this stuff to warrant doing it again!

EarlD

Those are all great Jonathan. I'm in agreement with other opinions also expressed. The bakelite is not as pretty as your vintage blanks, but still nice. The second one looks really good. But the last one - awesome!

Earl

Top Bottom