Some thanks to Gary G and Smitty; some showing off

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hdtran

Thanks to Smitty for donating a bunch of slimline kits; I was either the last or next to last to get 10 of them for making pens for Gary G's project for servicemen/women.

Thanks to Gary G for organizing the donation.

Showing off: Here are the ten pens I made (took me a while, as my act wasn't quite together). They'll go in the mail to Gary either tomorrow or Friday. I've got Gary's address saved in a PM, so Gary doesn't need to send it again to those of us too lazy or forgetful to search for it :)

hdtran

Attachments

• P1000565-resized.jpg
    P1000565-resized.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 167
  • P1000563-resized.jpg
    P1000563-resized.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 173
  • P1000564-resized.jpg
    P1000564-resized.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 143
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Your pictures come up on my monitor a little dark, but from what I can see, you did an excellent job on those.... I have a stash from Smitty as well that I have glued up, but haven't had a chance to turn yet... my lathe went into the shop a while back for a new pulley on the motor so I could change speeds... just got it back last week, but have had company for last two weeks and since it's my son, we've spent a lot of time doing yard work while I have a strong body to help.... he's back to work in a few days and hopefully I'll get some shop time then.

hdtran

The two mahoganys were the most difficult. I had some bias-cut mahogany blanks, so I decided to try them out. Beautiful chatoyance which doesn't show in the photos. I took the photos at night in our bathroom, on top of a white counter.

Slimlines are not my favorite; I'm just not good at doing creative shapes. I really don't like bushing-to-bushing straight pens either. I prefer finding wood that has interesting colors & grain. This was a good opportunity for me to explore a bunch of different woods. It turns out that I like Cedar. I found it somewhat tricky to work with, but it turns well, and has a very nice color, and a visible tight grain.

Top Bottom