Some Pens, Finally

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draken

Finally got my shop mostly setup. Enough to get a few pens/penciles done. All are 24K Gold Slimlines that came with the lathe in a starter kit and all wood is Rosewood, also included in the starter kit. The acrylic is PR that I cast myself. The all acrylic one has by far generated the most interest, and may lead to my first sale if I can do the same shape in a different color. I know the first one is proud of the fittings, so other than that, critique away and thanks for looking! By the way, the finish is ShellaWax, which also was in the starter kit. And the second pencil looks proud, but must be something with the photo as the fit is spot on.

Draken

200611231429_0003SlimPencileRosewoodScaleCrop.jpg

20061123155_0004SlimPencileRosewoodScaleCrop.jpg

200611231528_0005SlimAcrylicCBRosewoodScaledCrop.jpg

200611231546_0006SlimPRShapedScaledCrop.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

challagan

They look great to me! Did you get the PSI Turncrafters Pro lathe? I just received that as well. The pens do look great, hope I do as well. The third one, how did you go about that, without the center band, what takes it's place? Great job,
corey

JimGo

Way to go James! I'm impressed that by your third (at least homemade) pen you were already trying custom CB's! The PR looks pretty cool too (both the casting job and the shape). Over all, you did a great job with them and should be very proud. I will be curious to see your reaction to the Shellawax in a few weeks. When I look at my first pens, which were done in exactly the same manner, I am REALLY tempted to disassemble them and put CA or another finish on them.

I look forward to seeing them in person!

Draken

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Callagan, yes I did get the Turncrafter Pro from PSI. It is the same lathe that JimGo has as well. And for the custom center band, I cut off a piece of PR, left over from the bottom pen, and placed it between the two blanks. Left out the bushing in the middle, and turned it all together as one piece. The hole in the CB is too big, so two layers of painters tape in it keep it from flopping around. Next time, I'll drill the 1/4" hole for the CB first, cut it off the blank, then redrill with the 7mm drill, CB should be snug that way.

JimGo, I figure these are my test mules, to experiment with, so I'm not too worried about the finish. The next few wood ones will be testers for some spray Lacquer, once I get some sanding sealer and some time.

MDWine, so far that one is my favorite as well, but everyone who sees them in person gravitates to the acrylic one. Glad someone else is with me. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom