Some other Christmas Gifts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jthompson1995

jthompson1995

Here's a couple gifts I made for christmas:

First is a black walnut carved paltter in the shape of a turkey. My grandmother drew this turkey out on the wood at least 20 years ago (I remember seeing it when I was a teenager) with the intention of carving it into a platter. She never got around to making the platter and now cannot due to deteriorating health. My mother found the board when visiting with my grandmother this fall and asked if I would carve it so she could give it to my grandmother for Christmas. This was my first real chisel carving project but I'm quite pleased with how it came out. The outer shape was cut on the bandsaw and cleaned up by the disc sander. The interior was totally carved by hand with chisels. Finish is 2 coats of wipe on poly.

IMG_7578.jpg

IMG_7579.jpg

IMG_7580.jpg

IMG_7581.jpg

Next is a turkey pot call I made for a Christmas exchange on the Primitive Archer forum I belong to. The pot is spalted oak, 3.5" bronze blasted glass over slate. The striker is figured walnut (from LandfillLumber) and curly hickory. This was my first pot call so idon't know about how good the sound is but I'm pleased with the look.

IMG_7582.jpg

IMG_7586.jpg

IMG_7587.jpg

IMG_7589.jpg

IMG_7583.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

The platter is gorgeous. I am surprised that it is your first carving. The other item is also beautiful, but I am not sure what it is or how it works.

jthompson1995

Thanks for the comments everyone. I always make sure to take my time and research a bunch when I make something new.

Cindy, The turkey call is to use when Hunting turkeys. The small tip of the striker is scraped across the glass surface, mimicking the sounds turkeys make. It was definitely a new experience turning this piece since I had to turn a pedestal in the middle to hold a piece of slate about 1/16 inch below the surface of the glass to get the sound right. If you don't push too hard, the slate surface can be played through the large hole in the back, making some slightly different sounds. The holes are to allow the sound out of the call.

Top Bottom