Some info on silicone molds please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm getting back into turning after a long hiatus.
I'm making a 5 blank mold with the Alumilite Amazing Mold Rubber. (not sure if this is silicone or not)

I plan on making the walls 3/4" thick and the divider between blanks 1/2".

I have a pressure pot coming and need to know if this mold will be strong enough without re enforcing the perimeter walls.
Also does the 'rubber' mold need to be pressurized before using it?

Thanks for any help

ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

According to Zac Higgins you do need to pressurize the rubber before pouring. He's has a great video on what you're looking to do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5kgu78qY8g&t=381s

Hope it helps!

Zac DOES NOT uses pressure on the silicone. He does use his pressure pot as a vacuum chamber to degas the silicone prior to pouring. He explains this in his response to the first comment under the video.

Also, the material that he used was Alumilite High Strength 1. Can't comment on how that would compare to Amazing Mold Rubber for this purpose. Might be worth a call to Alumilite.

He also provides this link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlistlist=PL6q0fd3ileWLwTQ6pOUb8isS4BYLjkNhH

Just a good source on mold making--nothing to do with penturning.

Bill

Last edited:

vtgaryw

I'm getting back into turning after a long hiatus.
I'm making a 5 blank mold with the Alumilite Amazing Mold Rubber. (not sure if this is silicone or not)

I plan on making the walls 3/4" thick and the divider between blanks 1/2".

I have a pressure pot coming and need to know if this mold will be strong enough without re enforcing the perimeter walls.
Also does the 'rubber' mold need to be pressurized before using it?

Thanks for any help

ken

As far as this portion of your question - I'd say yes, reinforce the perimeter walls. I tried a few without doing that and I ruined several blanks.

-gary

Top Bottom