Some Colorful Knifeplay; knife painted pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

I've long enjoyed knife painting with heavy body acrylics - seascapes, wildlife, portraits, etc. - fresh bold color application without brushes, impasto textures, etc. Painting knives are inexpensive, and come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

I figured it was time for some friendly knife play for pen making.

Here are 2 ways to do it:
1) Direct knife painting onto the still or slowly rotating tube, sealing the dried "paintings" with Diamond Glaze.
2) Painting an acrylic skin onto a silicone baking or fondant sheet, sealing the surface with Diamond Glaze, peeling off the skin, then applying dry adhesive backing onto backside of the dried skin with a Xyron, rolling/adhering the skin rectangles around the tube.

Within either technique, after 1 week of drying, the knife-painted tubes are cast in Douglas and Sturgess Clear Casting PR at 50 psi, turned and finished as usual:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Have (safe and measured) fun with (pen)knives, and put some (acrylic) skin in the game.

Warm regards to all - Bob

Attachments

• KnifePaintedPens,markison2017,800px.jpg
    KnifePaintedPens,markison2017,800px.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 434
  • KnifePaintedPens,markison,2017,groupshot,800px.jpg
    KnifePaintedPens,markison,2017,groupshot,800px.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Bob I opened your Post with a High Degree of Fear and Trepidation.
Bearing a Description of "KnifePlay",
The thought of Blood and Body Parts Scattered Everywhere, ran through my Mind.
I was Absolutely Delighted, that No Blood or Body Parts was used in the Production of this Work (at least none that I could Identify).
Just Magnificent, Spectacular Pen Blanks, and Pens.
Your Detailed Description of the Procedures and Materials Used, was as usual most Enlightening (though I will probably have to read it several times to fully Comprehend and Appreciate it).
What you have achieved is Outstanding, the Depth and Range of Colours is Fantastic.
It reminded me of some of Jason Pollock's Works, though on a much condensed scale.
Thank you for opening my Mind, with your Unique Creations.
Brian.

Last edited:
Is there no end to your creative thought process? You, sir, are a true artist. You've made yet another stunning set of pens, thanks for sharing the process.

Willee

WOW ... what wonderful pens!
I like the unfinished ones also ... reminds me of those
impression period style paintings.

Never stop thinking of ways to further your art.

Bob in SF

Heartfelt thanks for kind words Mal, Brian, Jim, Jay, Steve, Michael, Chad, Mark, Willee - and thanks to others for liking these little techniques.

Brian - Hope the strong thread title didn't alarm you too much - no animals were harmed in the production of these writing implements.

This is another weekend of penadventure - stay tuned.

Warm regards and Happy Saturday to all - Bob

PS: One of my daughters saw this morning's fresh acrylic skin and wants a matching pen/bangle combo - why not?
(could be an interesting niche)
attachment.php

Attachments

• AcrylicSkin37,markison,2017.jpg
    AcrylicSkin37,markison,2017.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 122
Top Bottom