SOLID.wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

wood-of-1kind

One in a series of pen storage cases that I will be doing. "A" is for ash. Sliding tray on top and fixed tray on bottom. Made to hold ten(10) pens. Oil rubbed finish. Hope you like it.:)

P9130002.JPG

P9130001.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010010.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mickey

One woodworker to another the 3/4" material looks a bit heavy for the size of the box. Perhaps 1/2" might work better. To me there seems to be a conflict between the heft of the box and it's function. That said I really like your choice of wood, design and workmanship.

jskeen

Nice work there! I really like the trays, especially the slider. As a Box, it's very well executed and designed. Most pen cases are built so that the pens are as close to the top as possible and still have the lid close without hitting them, so that when it's opened they are really on display. Many use a domed or framed lid so that they are actually above the sides when the lid is opened.

Also, a flat plank lid has a tendency to curl or cup over the years. That's why most antique boxes have a lid panel framed somehow, be it a mitered frame, or mortise and tenon, or however. An idea you might try would be to cut a groove in the sides about a half inch below the top, and bevel the edges of the top so that it can be put in when the box is assembled. Then you can cut it off and hinge it however you want. That allows the top panel to expand and contract with the seasons without showing a mismatch at the edge, and also gives the lid some depth so that when it is opened, the pens on the slider will be visible without having to peer down into the box.

Great idea there, lots of design possibilities to play with as you work you way through the alphabet in woods.

wood-of-1kind

One woodworker to another the 3/4" material looks a bit heavy for the size of the box. Perhaps 1/2" might work better. To me there seems to be a conflict between the heft of the box and it's function. That said I really like your choice of wood, design and workmanship.

Thanks for the input Mickey. The box itself is 1/2" thick ash, whereas the lid is 3/4" thick. I like the "heavy" feel and "heft" unlike most jewelry box designs where the unit(s) have a "light" feel. To me it's important to have a unit that that feels rugged but understated with a simple, yet well executed design. These boxes are designed to last a long time.:)

wood-of-1kind

Rob, Ken I will gladly make a pen display case for you guys. I can show you some that you may enjoy from my current stock selection. Prices are always "reasonable" for my IAP friends here. Shipping (weight) may be a bit high, but I'm gessing that it should not be more than $25. PM if either of you gents would like some pics sent to your private e-mail or if you have a design in mind that I may tackle.

wood-of-1kind

James (jskeen) you have given me some excellent pointers that I will try to incorporate with a future design. I really appreciate your input so that I can improve with the "next" one.

Thanks to the good folks here that have contibuted comments. I really enjoy making these cases as much as I enjoy turning pens.

Top Bottom