Solid Brass Atlas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tokyotank

tokyotank

Just completed this solid brass bodied Atlas. Started with 1" hex brass stock and a few minutes behinds the lathe. Coments welcome. Enjoy. Working on a two piece now.

Attachments

• 2012-01-16 13.45.17.jpg
    2012-01-16 13.45.17.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 2012-01-16 13.44.43.jpg
    2012-01-16 13.44.43.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 278
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

Great looking pen. Very amazing to start with hex stock, I bet that was pretty tough to round! Very classy looking and the shape looks as though it would be well balanced in the hand. Good job

tokyotank

Took a fair amount of time on the lathe. Actually it is very well balanced and not near as heavy as I would have thought. I'm happy with it. Next one will be nicer.

LeeR

Just completed this solid brass bodied Atlas. Started with 1" hex brass stock and a few minutes behinds the lathe. Coments welcome. Enjoy. Working on a two piece now.

Nice. I've never bought this kit, thinking it to be kind of ugly ... maybe "ungainly" would be more polite. :) With the brass blank, it gives it a completely different look. I like it! Nice job.

By the way, I am assuming it was not drilled out to accept a brass tube? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jgrden

Shoot-a-mile, those tolerances have to be right on. No fudging at all. beautiful. I want to do one or two, or three, or more.

tokyotank

I want it to tarnish and show age. I think it will really add to it. Yes I mic'ed the kit and drilled to within 1/1000 under and it made for a nice snug fit. started with 150 and ended at 12000. then 3 coats of Mothers chrome polish. It was fun but I have a long way to go as I have only been doing pens for less than a month.

tokyotank

After handloading thousands of rounds it was definatley in the back of my mind while making it. The shape is second nature after handling as many bullets as I have. I actually have some 1" copper round stock and was kicking around builing some 50 cals with copper nibs to resemble the real thing. We'll see.

Jgrden

I want it to tarnish and show age. I think it will really add to it. Yes I mic'ed the kit and drilled to within 1/1000 under and it made for a nice snug fit. started with 150 and ended at 12000. then 3 coats of Mothers chrome polish. It was fun but I have a long way to go as I have only been doing pens for less than a month.

If this is just a start, I cannot wait to see your 'experienced' work. You belong in the same league as SkipRat. Way above my abilities.

Top Bottom