Softwood RM Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

The RM manual states that only hard woods should be used . That was probably because back when that manual was written , the cave man never thought anyone would use flat segmented boards to make a bowl from so there would be no end grain sanding at all .

A flat one piece board or a laminated one has end grain to sand out on two sides and seeing as the cut out of the rings is never as clean on end grain it takes a lot more sanding .
This one took ten minutes of sanding after the rings were glued together .Of course no lathe tools were required. Sanding only .

I used one 22" long x 4 3/4" wide board of 40 to 50 year old cedar hydro pole that was given to me last week and added a little poplar for contrast .
It is 9" diameter .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

What does RM mean ?

Oh, and BTW, that's a nice thingy you posted pictures of ... but which end does the nib go on ?

W.Y.

Looks great.

Thanks again Jim.
With only your one favorable reply in this thread after 162 views it is obvious that my work is substandard for this particular site so I will refrain from posting any more of my work in this Other Things We Make board .

Thanks to everyone's' responses over past number of years .

JimB

Your work isn't substandard by any measure. I am one of the 162 views with no comment made. I think it's a fantastic bowl and certainly beyond my skill level. Sometimes I just take a quick look through new posts and don't make any comments. Other times i have more time and make many comments. It's just the way it is sometimes.

I hope you will continue to show more of your great work.

magpens

I hope you continue to post also. I hope my joking reference to your bowl as a "nice thingy" was not offensive. I really admire it and wish I knew how to make such a nice bowl. You did a great job. I still don't know what RM means ... must be something obvious that I should know.

So please keep turning and posting .... love to see your work. Your photos of your bowl are EXCELLENT !

JimB

BTW, there are also several "Likes" in your original post. 4 of them were there earlier and now there is a 5th. You may not have noticed them because you need to scroll down past your pictures.

magpens

Thanks for telling me that RM means Ring Master. I googled that and learned a lot about some things I didn't know before, for example, that 4/4 is the correct way to specify a hardwood thickness of 1" (which is actually 13/16" if it is S2S - surfaced on 2 sides).

So, W.Y. .... thanks for showing your bowl. I really like it .... and did from the first time I saw it. And I learned a lot from this discussion. I also see that we are "neighbours", both living in BC !! See ya soon :):):)

Top Bottom