Software for Drafting pen design ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ridlaH

Hello everyone,

I'm just beginning my bespoke/custom pen making journey and I've been reading a few posts on the site and noticed that amidst some of the very helpful comments, a few users where able to provide some very detailed 3D renderings of pen sections/bodies to show the amount of thickness left in the walls etc. When using various thread types.

I wanted to know what software is recommended for drafting up and verifying different pen design ideas?

Is there something free or relatively cheap our there, or were these images done using something like AutoCAD?

I have some Ideas for pen shapes/ designs, but hoped that I could draft them up in a software program to see if they would work and to help adjust and tweak dimensions to serve what lengths and sizes my bores and threads etc. Would need to be to make it work.

I've attached screenshots of a couple of 3D images I've seen posted as an example.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240120_074450_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20240120_074450_Edge.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20240120_074506_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20240120_074506_Edge.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 52
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ridlaH

Sorry, when I attempted to edit my initial thread to add the photos, I accidentally started another of the same. Can't seem to find where to delete the original.

d_bondi

Most use Fuseion 360, its free for a year to non business or low volume businesses.
I believe that it is free as long as you want it for personal use only but you may have to re-up every year (not sure what this entails).

I decided on Fusion 360 and have downloaded and installed it but haven't had the time to re-learn using an autocad program.

duncsuss

Here's what I use...

My first job after college was a company that made temperature controllers, and a mechanical engineer told me to always draw at 1:1 scale. "If you can draw it real size with a sharp pencil, there's a good chance the machinists will be able to make it."

But we have to get you a nicer pencil than that :D

d_bondi

My first job after college was a company that made temperature controllers, and a mechanical engineer told me to always draw at 1:1 scale. "If you can draw it real size with a sharp pencil, there's a good chance the machinists will be able to make it."

But we have to get you a nicer pencil than that :D

I'm curious, who did you work for Duncan?

I worked for Johnson Controls for 35 years before retiring this past July. When I started I was designing and drafting pneumatic temperature control systems with pencil on velum.

My how things have changed!

duncsuss

I'm curious, who did you work for Duncan?

I worked for Johnson Controls for 35 years before retiring this past July. When I started I was designing and drafting pneumatic temperature control systems with pencil on velum.

My how things have changed!
The company was Gulton Europe, which has since been sold off by the US owners (Gulton Inc). Made temperature and process controllers, resold thermal printheads and Luminator signs (those yellow/black dot signs often seen on busses) and did service repairs on hugely powerful Electro-Voice speakers.

Penultimate

Hi
I stopped using Fusion360 and started using OnShape. There are less restrictions on files and drawings. I find it easier to use than Fusion360.
FreeCAD is a totally free CAD software where the software and files are loaded on your computer unlike Fusion and OnShape. FreeCAD is a different drawing paradigm than the other. I found the learning curve steeper.

d_bondi

Hi
I stopped using Fusion360 and started using OnShape. There are less restrictions on files and drawings. I find it easier to use than Fusion360.
FreeCAD is a totally free CAD software where the software and files are loaded on your computer unlike Fusion and OnShape. FreeCAD is a different drawing paradigm than the other. I found the learning curve steeper.
I'm confused Mike, my Fusion360 is installed on my MacBook Pro (or at least I downloaded a rather large install file and installed it).

Penultimate

I'm confused Mike, my Fusion360 is installed on my MacBook Pro (or at least I downloaded a rather large install file and installed it).
Interesting, i was using the free web based version. My old shop computer couldn't run it because autodesk stopped supporting the old Mac operating system

d_bondi

Interesting, i was using the free web based version. My old shop computer couldn't run it because autodesk stopped supporting the old Mac operating system
I just updated it today, yes, it does force me to login to my account online, but redirects back to the actual software, Fusion 360 appears to be installed on my MacBook.

Could you be thinking of TinkerCad? That is also Autodesk, it is completely online, and severely limited. It is what I have been using for some very basic 3d modeling for some 3D printing. My goal is to learn Fusion 360 for the 3D printing and any other needs. Problem is, I haven't used AutoCAD since it was on an Intel PS2 Model 80 with a digitizing pad and 16 button puck. I think I'm in for a steep learning curve. 🤪

Penultimate

I just updated it today, yes, it does force me to login to my account online, but redirects back to the actual software, Fusion 360 appears to be installed on my MacBook.

Could you be thinking of TinkerCad? That is also Autodesk, it is completely online, and severely limited. It is what I have been using for some very basic 3d modeling for some 3D printing. My goal is to learn Fusion 360 for the 3D printing and any other needs. Problem is, I haven't used AutoCAD since it was on an Intel PS2 Model 80 with a digitizing pad and 16 button puck. I think I'm in for a steep learning curve. 🤪
Hi, no, not tinkercad I don't think it works on my Mac. Wow, that was quite a while ago. I used AutoCAD 12-14 a long time ago. Draftsite was free a long time ago and basically a port of AutoCAD 14. That's when I started designing pens in CAD.

Kenobi

There is a couple of CAD apps for Android,too. Onshape for modeling,and CAD Assistant for rendering.

IMG_20240205_132712.png

Attachments

• IMG_20240205_132712.png
    IMG_20240205_132712.png
    579.8 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom