So, what's my next tool?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefrog

Okay turners,

I only have three basic tools that came in a "Benjamin's Best" penmaking set. A small spindle gouge, a skew, and a parting tool.

I want to make some other items, such as small bowls for a start.

My question is, what's the next "must have" tool I should purchase, and why? What does it do?

I really like the idea of the "Easy" carbide tools, but $$$wow$$$.

Thanks so much!

Joel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

DIY carbide insert tool :good:

Less than $10 for the supplies, left over wood for the handle and less then $10 for an insert (buy a couple).

It'll make you wish you spent the $30 on the above instead of the Benjamin's Best tools. DAMHIKT.

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

Well, tell me more, Andrew! Where do I get the supplies?
I picked up 1' of 1/2" square bar stock and a 3/4" copper end cap (for the ferrel) at Home Depot.

You can get the "Woodchuck Pen Pro" inserts and screw here or a few other locations.

I assume you have a lathe, so the handle is easy.

The only other tools you need are a hack saw, smooth file and a tap for the screw hole.

There is lots of information on DIY insert tools, I'd be happy to give you a walk through on the one I made if needed.

AK

Last edited:

splinter99

If you want to make bowels I would recomend a bowel gouge. to save a few bucks, take a look at Packards line of turrning tools, they are the same steel as the more expensive tools and are made in Shefield England. Several top name turners sell there tools exclusivly through Packard, Cindy Drozda for one.

Lenny

Oops. I believe I posted to the wrong forum topic.

Maybe one of the mods can move it to the right forum.

In answer to your question .... I can say that the Woodchuck Pen Pro is easily the best purchase I have made (and MANY others whould say the same thing) Tools

If you are looking to do more bowl work you might prefer the woodchuck bowl pro. You won't be sorry! :)

GoatRider

If you want to make bowels I would recomend a bowel gouge. to save a few bucks, take a look at Packards line of turrning tools, they are the same steel as the more expensive tools and are made in Shefield England. Several top name turners sell there tools exclusivly through Packard, Cindy Drozda for one.

Please- learn how to spell "bowl". I'm not normally picky about spelling on the internet but that one is just...

joefrog

Please- learn how to spell "bowl". I'm not normally picky about spelling on the internet but that one is just...

Coming from someone nicknamed "goatrider?" :eek: :biggrin: :wink:

I purchased the WoodChuck unitool today. I cannot wait to get it. Ken said I should have it this week. I read the reviews here and then got the one with the most attachment.

corian king

I purchased the "ROTONDO" from another member here"wood-of-one-kind" and I use it for 99% of all my turnings.Bowls included.He is a really great guy to work with and has fair prices on his inserts. Good Luck!!

Bowl Slinger

I have well over 50 turning tools and I find myself using the same ones every time no matter what Im turning. Believe it or not I use my 1/2 inch bowl gouge for everything including my pens. I use the smaller tools for detail work but other than that, the Sorby tools feel right to me and I keep gravitating towards them. I do have a set of the carbide chisels and they work well and are worth the $ in the amount of time savings that you have in not sharpening them.

MrPukaShell

Bowl gouge for sure. 1/2 inch is best for all around work. Make sure you get High Speed steel so it will hold an edge. You might want to check out Harbor Freight. They have cheap tools and you can learn to sharpen the different grinds. When you are comfortable with the sharpening aspect get a nice bowl gouge (Glasser, Thompson, ect).

Top Bottom