So much for the mystery!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GaryMadore

GaryMadore

So, there I was... In the workshop, happily end-milling the blanks in preparation to turn a couple of Euros for LOML's kids.

She asks "whatcha doing?" and I start to explain. And then... and then... and then I made the fatal mistake: I asked if she wanted to try.

Yes, my Brothers and Sisters, I let the cat out of the bag and now all of the mystery is gone. Everyone here in the house and at work used to think I was some kind of wizard or something because I could disappear for an hour or so and emerge from my Man Cave with a billion-dollar Fine Writing Instrument.

LOML, though, no longer thinks it's that magical or mystical. She thinks any old idiot can do it. Hell, she thinks SHE can do it.

And so she cranked out a pen.

I hate her.

heh heh

Here it is: A gold Euro wrapped in red/black acrylic from Lee Valley. Niiiiiiiiiice.....

1_lomlpen01.jpg

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/3502/1_lomlpen01.jpg

I even let her use my micromesh - FOR THE FIRST TIME! I haven't even used it yet.

WHAT was I thinking? :D

(the cigar underneath is a brushed nickel finish (I LOVE that finish) with Olive Wood)

Cheers!

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thank you, Lord, for the inspiration to turn pens, the knowlege not to tell anyone how easy it is and the wisdom to know the difference, especially the LOML.
BTW, nice job for a first pen. Be careful, be VERY careful!!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Personally, I would just use it as an excuse to buy another lathe for "her", but a very complicated one....LOL

maxman400

My wife turned one also,.......... and I sold it! Now she want's to scroll saw,,,, works for me! Also very nice pens by the way.

leehljp

Member Liaison
LOML has strong allergies to most dust and lots of "oil based fumes" - read that as paints, thinners and CA. So I am safe! :biggrin:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
A very dear friend of mine finally took me up on the offer to "turn a pen." After successfully turning olivewood blanks I'd cut, drilled and tubed, he decided to "go into the pen business."

When he came over the next day, I handed him the CraftUSA catalog and told him to "browse." Then he wanted to get right on the lathe. So I told him - if he wanted to really make a pen, he had to start from THE BEGINNING.

I handed him some tubes. Then I handed him some slimline parts. Then I handed him the instruction sheet. I asaked him to follow me. With his hands full of tubes and parts and a sheet of instructions between his teeth, he followed me outside where most of my wood sits - next to the table saw and drill press.

I told him he would have his choice of the woods but he had to measure, cut, glue in tubes and square off the ends himself - and he would have to buy any materials after that DAY.

As I was explaining the various wood choices, he bowed his head. "I feel overwhelmed!" "All I wanted to do was 'play on the lathe.'"

He set all the parts down, spit out the paper and left.

;-)
I have my lathe back!

JimB

LOML does a lot of stuff with the pens... buys me wood, kits, tools (2nd lathe and bandsaw), matches wood to platings, and even cleans the shop once in a while but she won't go anywhere near the lathe or any other tool in the shop. She did try the lathe once, for about 10 seconds, when I first bought it. Never again. She really did not like it. So the lathe and pen making are all mine.

Edit: She saw a drill doctor at Lowes the other day. She liked it and asked "Do you want one of those?". I think I'll be getting one in the near future.

Last edited:

desertyellow

You've done it now!
The good thing is that there should be more latitude when it comes time to buy more tools or supplies. There is always an upside

Top Bottom