Snakeskin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from awolfe

awolfe

This is one of the snakeskin blanks we got in a raffle a while back, I used a chrome cigar kit for it. comments/suggestions welcome. Thank you for looking.

Attachments

• 100_2115cmed.jpg
    100_2115cmed.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 223
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Richwall

Great looking pen

How did you turned it? I use a file rasp because its realy brittle and blows apart if you are not carefull. Keep up the good work

Richard
Buda Texas

Last edited:

awolfe

I turned it at low speed just using a skew and a very light touch. I was breaking small pieces off before it was round, but after that it was much easier.

reddwil

Good looking pen. You made my mistake with the scales. I mark the inside of the tube with a sharpie now, to help me keep them straight. I use richwall's method of using a file after getting them round on the disc sander. I blew out a couple with the skew before trying the file. Then again, my skew skills STINK

PaulDoug

Nice job. I used normal tools (spindle gauge and skew) to turn mine. Very light touches though and I rounded it pretty much on the belt sander before putting it on the lathe.

Looks like you may have the scales going the opposite directions on top and bottom. Doesn't make it right or wrong, and easy to do.

Agani nice work.

JohnU

Looks great. I just made some of my own but havent turned a cigar yet. My skins are missing a few scales so they dont look as good as yours.

Richwall, if your blanks are brittle, cut back on the catalyst drops per ounce. I make mine with only three drops per ounce (if Im casting over something). It takes a bit longer to set but they turn nice and smooth.

bitshird

The only suggestion I can make is send it to me, I'll be happy to provide a detailed critique
other than the scales going different ways which really isn't a big deal, it looks good from here :D

bad

Alicia, that is a REALLY nice pen. I'm fairly new to pen turning and I haven't seen anything like that yet. Is the whole pen blank made of snake skin or is it snake skin wrapped around wood? Is there a tutorial somewhere that will guide me around the pitfalls of turning snake skin? And lastly, where do you get the blanks from? I've made a few cool pens for friends but this will blow them out of the water. I've got to try one.

Bruce

awolfe

Bruce, unfortunatly I'm the wrong person to ask most of those questions to. That blank was gotten by my husband from a raffle a while back, I believe it's snakeskin wrapped around the brass tube and then cast in PR. As for tutorials, I don't know. I just gave it a shot and that's how it turned out :)

Top Bottom