snakeskin trio

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

I had a little shop time today and turned theses three from blanks I cast 3 weeks ago. The woods are, from the top down, EMU Apple, Mesquite, and Madorne Burl. Enjoy, and as always, comments welcome.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

20075335436_snake%20trio.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Thanks for all of the comments. These are my favorite treatment for snake skin slimlines...but I suppose you all know that...they are the only snake slimlines I ever post.

All I know about the EMU Apple is it came from Australia with some blanks sent to me. Maybe our friend Serge can help us out if he sees this... or one of our other friends from OZ.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by tseger
<br />Very nice pens Don, what is EMU apple? I've never heard of it.[?][?] Tim

its_virgil

Thanks Anthony. It is my favorite way to make slimlines from the snake blanks. I line the larger pens done with snake skin on both barrels, but the slimline just doesn't look appealing, to me at least, with snake on both top and bottom.

Thanks also to the others who offered comments. Maybe I should stop posting this style...they may be getting a little boring by now. I do appreciate the favorable comments.

Just a word about the Emu apple. It grows in the desert areas of Australia. The wood has lots of silica crstals in it and the sand is not good on the tools. I had to stop sharpen once while turning and again after I finished. Serge warned me about that when he sent the blanks to me. He was right!

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />I always like that style of yours, wonderfull pens.[:)]

Darley

Don you done a good work with this trio, very nice I like the way of your design, I told you for the Emu apple ( got the diamon file out for the skew[:D] )

Originally posted by tseger
<br />Very nice pens Don, what is EMU apple? I've never heard of it.[?][?] Tim

Tim here's some info for you about Emu Apple, I got a small log when I was living in Queensland see the photos, grubs love the sap wood but can't get in the wood it self to much Silicate crystal in it and like Don say very bad for your tools but at the end it look good ( the proof is in the pudding, look Don pens )[:D]

200754114941_Emu%20Apple%20log.jpg
<br />

200754115024_Emu%20Apple%20log%202.jpg
<br />

This is a desk set I made for the person who give me the log.
200754115055_Emu%20Apple%20desk%20set.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom