Snake Wood Jr. Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbyrd24

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbyrd24

Thanks for looking. Keeping my fingers crossed that it won't crack.;)

200581514638_Snake%20Wood%20Titanium%20Gold%20.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Great looking pen.... I have three pieces of snakewood that are stunning... just waiting for the time to do them...
Please let us know how it holds up. Also did you do anything different to try to keep it from splitting...
Suggestions we have seen range from silicone caulk for gluing the tubes to sanding the inside of the tube so the fitting are a slip fit and need to be glued in place.... all to them to eliminate pressure on the blank when putting it together.... What did you do.. HHMMMM ????

Fangar

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Great looking pen.... I have three pieces of snakewood that are stunning... just waiting for the time to do them...
Please let us know how it holds up. Also did you do anything different to try to keep it from splitting...
Suggestions we have seen range from silicone caulk for gluing the tubes to sanding the inside of the tube so the fitting are a slip fit and need to be glued in place.... all to them to eliminate pressure on the blank when putting it together.... What did you do.. HHMMMM ????

Girz and others,

I dissassembeled the snakewood and fixed the cap portion. The body of the pen never cracked. I think what we all talked about before is that the cap liekly cracked from the pressfit pressure of the screw cap etc. Anyway, I filled the cracks with ca and refinished. Unfortunately I had some issues with the ca frosting over a bit when I tried to san it into the cracks. The finish came out decent, but it was more of a test. That was about 2 weeks ago, still no cracking on the cap this time.

That is a great looking pen Jbyrd.

krose38

Very nice pen Bryan.
I also have four snake wood pen blanks to turn but will not turn them because I'm afraid of cracking. I am wondering if any of you have kept track of the season in which you turned the snake wood or if you knew the barometer reading. Do you think either one of these factors would make a difference?

jbyrd24

Should have crossed my toes too.[xx(]
Two hairline cracks have appeared right around the nib.
I believe pushing in the coupler in the bottom barrel did it.
Things I'll do next time: Use another glue besides gorilla glue and
sand or grind off the coupler so it doesn't have to be pushed in.
Ideally I wouldn't use tubes. (If anyone can tell me how to do that
I'd love to give it a try)

Thanks

PenWorks

Don't feel bad Bryan, if you would have done the things you mentioned above, it still would have cracked. But it still is the best looking cracked pen you have. [:)]

Dario

I am scared and at the same time challenged by snakewood [:D]. I think I will include a couple snakewood blanks from BB next time I put an order.

Any pointers to avoid cracking will be appreciated.

PenWorks

Dario, you can get two types of snakewood to make pens,,,,
The ones that crack...and the ones that are going to crack....[:D]
I highly recomend both, as they make fine looking pens [:p] Seriously.

mik

The Orchard, Milton Lane, Wookey Hole, Somerset, U
Hi Bryan

I have 1,000 - 1,500 yr old wild Greek olive wood - that will not do as it is told!!

Try this make as normal - keep your temperature down - fingures on will you sand - no finish - no sealers - leave for two days to settle - then any cracks that have appeared thin CA with the fine sandings thrown over pat in, leave 12 hours, back to the lathe, repeat process until no cracks!!

Let me know

Mik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom