snake skin cast & pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Did some more snake skin cast Saturday. Here is a picture of the casting and the first pen I made from one of the slimline tubes. The other pens in the cast are gent, baron, and sierra. The wood on this pen is black mesquite from S. America. Enjoy and comments always welcome.

20061304737_snake%20skin%20cast.jpg

2006130485_Black%20Mesq%20snake%20skin.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Don,
Another fantastic example of snake skin pens! I really like the way the black mesquite accents it. What is the white accent?

its_virgil

Thanks Don and Ron. I hope some details may be coming soon. Ron, the white accents are fiber washers available from Woodturningz...unfortunately for you they only come drilled for slimlines. I've tried to drill the hole larger, but haven't had much luck. Maybe someone else has. They come in white, black, red, glue, green, and orange. I really like them for applications like this.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

myname1960

Don,
Looking at the woodturningz site it shows the black washers discontinued. They do have them in the other colors though.

How thick are these washers and how tough is the material? Maybe you can use a punch to make the center larger. We use punches like this at work to cut out round magnet pieces that we use in the molds we make. Just a thought.

Chris

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Thanks Don and Ron. I hope some details may be coming soon. Ron, the white accents are fiber washers available from Woodturningz...unfortunately for you they only come drilled for slimlines. I've tried to drill the hole larger, but haven't had much luck. Maybe someone else has. They come in white, black, red, glue, green, and orange. I really like them for applications like this.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

its_virgil

They are about as thick as a credit card...togh, but brittle. As soon as the bit hits them they split in half. Havent tried a punch, but as brittle as they are, not sure a punch would work. Sorry to hear the black ones have been removed.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by myname1960
<br />Don,
Looking at the woodturningz site it shows the black washers discontinued. They do have them in the other colors though.

How thick are these washers and how tough is the material? Maybe you can use a punch to make the center larger. We use punches like this at work to cut out round magnet pieces that we use in the molds we make. Just a thought.

Chris

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Thanks Don and Ron. I hope some details may be coming soon. Ron, the white accents are fiber washers available from Woodturningz...unfortunately for you they only come drilled for slimlines. I've tried to drill the hole larger, but haven't had much luck. Maybe someone else has. They come in white, black, red, glue, green, and orange. I really like them for applications like this.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

myname1960

Don,

Have you tried the pickguard material that woodturnerscatalog carries. Its a type of plastic laminate that is used like this in making pens and other items. If you havent seen it here is a link to the page its on.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=455-0100

Maybe this will work as well. I know i wanted to get some of the rings that woodturningz has. Maybe i will still order it and see if a punch will work.

Chris

Don,
well done as usual, is the snakeskin only in the pr or does that include the washers and/or wood?.
I have used some of those washers and I have had success using my press and a tube the size you need, beveled for sharpness, to create the hole size I need. Hope that does it for you.

Glenn

Deere41h

Don...I really like the way that turned out. Did you use a euro tube on the lower end to make it longer? I think you have found to secret on casting skins. Very nice!!

its_virgil

Thanks Glenn!
I turned the blank (skin under PR from end to end) round then parted off the resin and skin from the ends and added the washers and wood. Thanks for the tip on the washers. I've only tried drilling them. I'll give you method a try.
Originally posted by oobak
<br />Don,
well done as usual, is the snakeskin only in the pr or does that include the washers and/or wood?.
I have used some of those washers and I have had success using my press and a tube the size you need, beveled for sharpness, to create the hole size I need. Hope that does it for you.

Glenn

its_virgil

Thanks John! I did use a euro tube on the bottom. I like the longer lower tube on the slimlines. I have glued in two regular length tubes and let them meet in the middle and cut off the exposed tube ends.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Deere41h
<br />Don...I really like the way that turned out. Did you use a euro tube on the lower end to make it longer? I think you have found to secret on casting skins. Very nice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom