Snake Skin Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nightowl

You might be able to retire on this snake.

Attachments

• rattler.jpg
    rattler.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,137
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

You might.....But that picture has made it's rounds several times.

That being said, I still wouldn't want to come face to face with it!!

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
I haven't done much casting, and haven't messed around with skin blanks of any form... But I am always left wondering when I see talk (serious or not) of making blanks out of a big ol' monster like that... Would any part of the mid-section of that thing even make a decent blank? I mean the pattern area and scales in the mid section are sooo big... Would it even look identifiable around something as skinny as a pen if a piece was taken from right in the middle?

seamus7227

Would any part of the mid-section of that thing even make a decent blank? I mean the pattern area and scales in the mid section are sooo big... Would it even look identifiable around something as skinny as a pen if a piece was taken from right in the middle?

No not really, some of the 5' long diamondbacks that i've gotten are around 8" wide once I skin them. so usually the only areas that are of use will be up near the neck and the "coon" tail (black and white). In the case of a snake this big, just having a blank from it would be cool just knowing how big it was:eek:

plantman

Would any part of the mid-section of that thing even make a decent blank? I mean the pattern area and scales in the mid section are sooo big... Would it even look identifiable around something as skinny as a pen if a piece was taken from right in the middle?

No not really, some of the 5' long diamondbacks that i've gotten are around 8" wide once I skin them. so usually the only areas that are of use will be up near the neck and the "coon" tail (black and white). In the case of a snake this big, just having a blank from it would be cool just knowing how big it was:eek:

I agree with Seamus7227. I have cast a lot of the bigger snakes. Rattlers, cobras, pythons, and even an anaconda. See my photos for examples. First one is a large Indian Cobra, second is an Anaconda. The bigger the snake, the harder it is to get something that you can fit onto a pen and recognize what type of snake it was. Smaller or more colorful skins are a better way to go. The under side or belly skin used crossways makes an interesting pen, but as with the larger snakes, you have to tell the people what they are, or they have no clue. When you take any snake over 5 feet and put a piece of it on a 2 1/2 inch pen blank, there is something lost in the transition. I have several Cobra skins with the heads on, and I have been trying to figure out a project and a way to use the open hoods. Maybe a pen box top for a Cobra skin pen??? Jim S

Attachments

• DSCN0694 (800x600).jpg
    DSCN0694 (800x600).jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN0725.jpg
    DSCN0725.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

NittanyLion

That pic is an optical illusion......no rattlesnake is that large. Google it and you will see it's an illusion from holding the snake so close to the camera. It appears larger than it is.

Waluy

That pic is an optical illusion......no rattlesnake is that large. Google it and you will see it's an illusion from holding the snake so close to the camera. It appears larger than it is.

True it is an optical illusion but that is a 6'6" rattle snake. Not huge but still plenty big for my taste.

Janster

I haven't done much casting, and haven't messed around with skin blanks of any form... But I am always left wondering when I see talk (serious or not) of making blanks out of a big ol' monster like that... Would any part of the mid-section of that thing even make a decent blank? I mean the pattern area and scales in the mid section are sooo big... Would it even look identifiable around something as skinny as a pen if a piece was taken from right in the middle?

This is the belly area from a Western Diamondback. Not sure IF you can see the larger scales. Be well............Jan

Attachments

• BellyShot.jpg
    BellyShot.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 155

plantman

Steve; The Eastern Diamond back Rattle Snake is the largest member of the pit viper family found in North America. They can run in excess of 8 feet and weigh over 10#s with the ability of striking 1/3 of it's length. A snake this size would easily have enough venom to kill several people. The bites of smaller ones may not kill you, but they are very painful and disabeling. Guessing the man in the photo is 6 feet tall, and using triangulation and trigonometic principles, this snake is easly close to 8 feet long if not longer. I could be more accurate if I knew how tall the man was. Ask anyone along the South Eastern coast line how big the snakes get in the swamps and the Everglades. I have watched the Gater Boys take rattlers well over 6 feet on their show from FLA. Jim S

Last edited:

Waluy

Steve; The Eastern Diamond back Rattle Snake is the largest member of the pit viper family found in North America. They can run in excess of 8 feet and weigh over 10#s with the ability of striking 1/3 of it's length. A snake this size would easily have enough venom to kill several people. The bites of smaller ones may not kill you, but they are very painful and disabeling. Guessing the man in the photo is 6 feet tall, and using triangulation and trigonometic principles, this snake is easly close to 8 feet long if not longer. I could be more accurate if I knew how tall the man was. Ask anyone along the South Eastern coast line how big the snakes get in the swamps and the Everglades. I have watched the Gater Boys take rattlers well over 6 feet on their show from FLA. Jim S
Here is a link to a article about the snake in the picture. GON.com - Screven County Diamondback Measures 6 1/2 Feet - Georgia Outdoor News

The person in the photo admits its only about 6'6" long.

plantman

Here is a link to a article about the snake in the picture. GON.com - Screven County Diamondback Measures 6 1/2 Feet - Georgia Outdoor News

The person in the photo admits its only about 6'6" long.

Sorry Steve my calc. was incorrect, but they do get larger. Thanks for the correct info. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom