Smaller Baron like pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

toolcrazy

I was wonder if there is a smaller diameter kit out there that is like a baron. I have some very nice blanks that I don't feel comfortable drilling for a baron. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

What size are the blanks? I've made Barons from 5/8" blanks and I'm pretty sure that Billy(alamocdc) said he has made them from 9/16" blanks. The most accurate way to drill is using a Beall collet chuck after turning it round. The next most accurate way to drill is on a drill press using a PHD vise, and if you get it set up just right, it will be as accurate as the collet chuck.

Firefyter-emt

Do you have a scroll chuck and a drill chuck for your lathe? I fit some Gent tubes (not Jr. Gent) into a 3/4" acrylic blank that was held in my pin jaws. Collet chuck would be the best, but this would be the next best thing over a drill press IHMO (even with Pauls awesome vice)

BTW, I had a hair over 1/16" that had to be turned off the blank after it was glued up and set on the Gent's bushings. I could of taken it down on sandpaper alone! [;)]

toolcrazy

Thanks all. I think what I'll do is drill a smaller hole to see how centered my vise is. I don't have the drill piece for the lathe that I need, but I do have a blank vise and a drill press. I guess I will have to be really carefull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom