small drive centres reasonably priced in CANADA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ric

I am currently looking for a 1/2" or 5/8" drive centre with a #2 MT tang that is reasonably priced here in CANADA.
I have tried Thomas Skinner & Lee Valley Tool, & some of the local machine shops in my area, they all stock these items, however I think they want far too much money for the items...$75.00 + is a lot..
maybe if they were carbide, I could see that price, but not for carbon steel....
Can anyone point me in the right recondition?:frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I am currently looking for a 1/2" or 5/8" drive centre with a #2 MT tang that is reasonably priced here in CANADA.
I have tried Thomas Skinner & Lee Valley Tool, & some of the local machine shops in my area, they all stock these items, however I think they want far too much money for the items...$75.00 + is a lot..
maybe if they were carbide, I could see that price, but not for carbon steel....

If you are simply talking of a 60 degree "Dead Center" (centre for those who spell properly) which is what most of us use for the headstock (drive) center when turning between centers (a "live"{ie. rotatating) centre) in the tailstock). Woodturnngz.com has a steel MT2 dead center for around ten dollars American funds. I'm not ablsolutely sure if he ships to Canada but they treat people very well and it's worth a call (1-888-736-5487) to find out. Even considering an exchange fee for Canadian funds and more shipping costs it should STILL be better than $75.00 Canadian funds. Give them a try. P.S. They also have "live Centers" (i.e. ball bearing)listed in Morse Taper 2 for about Eighteen dollars American. Try it, you might like it. (P.P.S -I have both a dead center and a live center in Morse Taper 1 (which is what my lathe takes) which I purchased from Woodturningz and have been very satisfied with them and with everything I've gotten from Woodturningz BTW - I don't work for them and have no relatives or friends that do. I simply think they treat people right - no discounts or endorsement fees either.

Last edited:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hello Ric; I have no inkling of what your definition is of reasonably priced. For me, I only deal with Oneway, a Canadian family owned lathe company in Stratford, ON.

They carry a multitude of MT2 drive centers! Reasonably priced to my liking, yours maybe not so much!:)

KenV

Amazon.ca sells the PSI knock off of the Steb drive for under $25.

The real Steb drive is better made but almost thrice as costly.

lorbay

This is the one I have. $41.00. Not bad.
#2 MT Safe Driver

Lin

magpens

This is the one I have. $41.00. Not bad.
#2 MT Safe Driver

Lin

Lin, yours looks to have a spring-loaded centre pin. Are there teeth on the shoulder which engage the workpiece when you press in far enough? or is there a cup with a fairly sharp edge? I have used the cup type and understand why it is called a "safe" driver.

Ric

Thank you guys for all the advice. I did successfully find the spur I was looking for, in fact I was able to obtain a set of 5 in carbide steel in a handmade wooden case from an old retired woodworker that I met at a local wood show. All it cost me was this segmented inlay pen that I made out of three different "red" coloured hard-woods.
What a score that was. I found an old expert who loves to talk about woodworking that seems to like what I have been turning out, & loves to give advice whether you want it or not (ha ha)...Thanx again guys I shall not hesitate to use the "forum" again.
IF LIFE HANDS YOU LEMONS...MAKE MOJITOS !

lorbay

Ric Busy Bee sells a cup drive centre for $10.00
I have this one and it is commonly called a safety drive centre.
Lin

Top Bottom