Small Band Saw New Purchase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shastastan

I just got a new Ryobi 9" small band saw at Home Depot for $129. I have a Minamax 16", 220v, band saw with a carbide tipped resaw blade on it. I like to just leave that blade on and I don't like cutting small stuff, like pen blanks, on it except to square them up. I decided to get a small saw to give me more versatility for pen blanks, toys, and intarsia. It's probably not the most safe thing to be both a musician and woodworker, but I can't help myself.:biggrin:

Initially I was going to get a Skil 9" BS for the same price. However, they changed their model from last year and are using cheaper parts. Having read some reviews about last year having a metal base and table, I was able to find a display unit at Lowe's. However, when I started to put the blade on, I noticed that the lower blade guide was missing so I returned it.

One review suggest the Ryobi instead so I decided to check one out at Home Depot. I was careful to pick an unopened and undamaged box. When I opened it up the blade was off I discovered that the top wheel was loose and missing the keeper ring. I found the ring in the packing plastic. I did take me some time to get the blade on and adjusted correctly. The directions are pretty sketchy for someone who knows nothing about band saws. I downloaded the manual and parts list (w/pictures). The manual that comes with it is pretty small to read. When I went to start it, I noticed that the key part of the switch was missing. I found it on the floor. It had not been snapped in and seated so it had fallen out.

I'm pretty impressed with this little saw. The parts are better quality than the new 9" Skil BS. It runs very smooth and cuts with no vibration. I don't even have it clamped down to the workbench. It has a window on the side to let you see the blade tracking, but to me that's not a big deal. What I do like is what I call the de-tensioner bar that removes the blade tension when the saw is not in use. I wish I had one on my Minimax. The dust port is 2.5". I had to order a 2.5" to 1.5' reducer fitting to hook up to my shop vac. I really recommend dust collection for the inside of a band saw.

Some of the negative review comments relate to the smaller size and power. Some said that you can't even cut a 4x4 with it. What? Anyone who expects this saw to perform as well as a 14" will not be happy with it. I have been cutting my pen blanks by hand with my little dozuki saw. For $129, this little ryobi is working well for me. I'm just writing this to possibly help someone who's thinking about a little band saw to use for small stuff and also because this Ryobi model is decent quality for the price. Also, be prepared to spend some tweaking time in setting it up.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

csr67

Good purchase! I've had that same saw for a few months and it works great for cutting my blanks to length. Prior to that I was using a small 8" delta chop saw, but the band saw works much better and quicker for me.

shastastan

Good purchase! I've had that same saw for a few months and it works great for cutting my blanks to length. Prior to that I was using a small 8" delta chop saw, but the band saw works much better and quicker for me.

Everybody does blanks their own way. I was cutting the blanks to total length on my SCMS and they squaring them on my large band saw. The rest of the trimming I was doing by hand and squaring the ends on my disk sander after gluing the tubes in. Now, I just trim down almost to the tube ends and square on the sander at lot faster.

Do you have a vac hooked up to yours?

mecompco

I have a Harbor Freight portable band saw. Immediately replaced the (crappy Chinese) blade with a quality bi-metal one. It works great. Just finished mounting it to a base, which makes it much nicer to use (had it wedged into the the back of my bench, previously). It is variable speed, which is nice. Still working mounting on a table for it. I used the base and table from an old 3 wheel bandsaw that I got at a lawn sale for $15. The 1750 RPM motor from it is soon to be grafted to my Craftsman 2x42 belt grinder (to get the RPMs down from the rather unmaneagble ~3200 RPMs that it currently runs at). For the money, the HF saw is a bargain, I think (not that all their stuff is).

Regards,
Michael

csr67

Everybody does blanks their own way. I was cutting the blanks to total length on my SCMS and they squaring them on my large band saw. The rest of the trimming I was doing by hand and squaring the ends on my disk sander after gluing the tubes in. Now, I just trim down almost to the tube ends and square on the sander at lot faster.

Do you have a vac hooked up to yours?

No, I have not yet hooked my shop vac to it. I do occasionally vacuum it out, but it mainly sits on a side bench for cutting a blank to length before drilling.

Rockytime

I purchased a Harbor Freight 9" band saw a few months ago. It works beyond my expectations. I recently purchased a Very nice old 12" Craftsman band saw because it has a lot more capacity and power. I very briefly considered getting rid of the HF saw it also works so well for cutting blanks and other small things that, much like you, I am keeping it. It does not take a lot of space on the bench and is very handy allowing me to keep a much larger blade on the 12" saw. I square my blanks on a disc sander.

shastastan

Glad those HF saws are working out well for those who bought them. They did'nt do bad in a review that I read. The review said that the Craftsman and Ryobi 9"'ers are the same saw. I got my Fein shop vac hooked up today. Not sure how necessary this really is though since there isn't too much dust trimming pen blanks. That dust could be vacuumed out separately as needed. Now when I use my saw, I plug it into the vac which powers on using the saw power switch.

Top Bottom