Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodpenman

Looking to buy the best quality Slimline (Gold or GoldTi) available.

Any suggestions?

I make mostly Barons, Jr.&Sr Gents/Statesman.

Have someone who insists on a dozen or so Slimlines.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I'm slowing moving all product to better platings. In the slimlines, I've gotten Tigold and rhodium from woodturningz that I'm happy with so far.

M

monkeynutz

Woodturningz has the TiGold slimlines on sale now for $2.50 ea, and the TiGold Pencils for $3.50 ea.
Plus, if you get 10 pencils and 10 pens, they knock off another 5 bucks and add a free set of bushings. They're calling this a "clearance" sale, though, so I wonder if they're not gonna carry these any more...???

redfishsc

As far as consistency and smooth transmissions, it's hard to say exactly but I will recommend CSA's slimline (not the cheap "apprentice" series), they seem to have a bit more refinement, the trannies don't seem to have as many catches or sticky spots.

That being said, I like their slimline clips EXCEPT for that blasted "A" they put on them. Neither my name, nor my "pen shop" name, starts with an A and it confuses customers, not to mention it looks tacky. For the life of me I cannot understand why they put that on there.

Paul Downes

Ditto what redfishsc says. I have ordered 100's of slims from woodturninz and have had half a dozen or so failed transmissions. Last night I made one that wouldn't accept the ink cartridge. The treads were half there. I've had 1 with no threads, 1 were the transmission wouldn't hold it's position (the pen closes when you write with it) and some others that missed a manufacturing step. (were'nt crimped) Sometimes the transmission is sticky and won't turn. I can usually get them to work by backing the cartridge out a little and turning it back and forth several times and then screwing the cartridge back in. Woodturninz have always replaced them when I've asked. I don't use anything but tigold and rhodium. ........And yes some customers like them, especialy the ladies. I'm tryin to always check the parts before I assemble, but...........

Gulfcoast

I just received the ten TiGold slimlines from Woodturningz, checked them all, they appear to by all ok.
The one thing I really like about them [beside the price :) ] is that the clip does not have any TN or A on them.

Joe

Scott

Yes, the inexpensive Ti-gold slimline from Woodturningz is what I use all the time. For non-gold, I like the black enamel ones from the same place. If I want a really nice slimline, I go for the chrome streamlined slimline from Berea - I just love the shape and feel of that pen!

Scott.

Last edited:

Rifleman1776

Ditto what redfishsc says. I have ordered 100's of slims from woodturninz and have had half a dozen or so failed transmissions. Last night I made one that wouldn't accept the ink cartridge. The treads were half there. I've had 1 with no threads, 1 were the transmission wouldn't hold it's position (the pen closes when you write with it) and some others that missed a manufacturing step. (were'nt crimped) Sometimes the transmission is sticky and won't turn. I can usually get them to work by backing the cartridge out a little and turning it back and forth several times and then screwing the cartridge back in. Woodturninz have always replaced them when I've asked. I don't use anything but tigold and rhodium. ........And yes some customers like them, especialy the ladies. I'm tryin to always check the parts before I assemble, but...........

The 'sticky' is deliberate. It is (according to CS tech support) intended to hold the trans. and help it stay in place and turn better. This is also found on other models.

Woodturningz has great prices... I've stocked up on SL and EP when they were having a sale.. No transmission failed that I can remember, but have gotten a number of kits with the ink leaking out of the refills... I keep a supply of spares and just switch them out... didn't think it necessary to have Ryan replace them on $2 kits. I did let him know about the leakers though.

Paul Downes

Actually I don't usually bother him either. I did have to have him replace some kits one time when they were shipped with a partial snakewood log. they got rolled on and wrecked. I mentioned the trasmission problems to him when I called him about the shipping damaged kits and he made good on everything I asked. He did mention that he had spare parts available so I took him up on the deal.

Top Bottom