Slimline with custom centerband

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jking

I am trying a slimline with a wood centerband. I am using Russ' fatline as an example, but, I have encountered a minor dilemma. I did a thicker centerband, around 1/4", because that was the size of my parting tool. With a 1/4" centerband, it is easy to see the band is off-center. I am trying to figure out whether the pen would look better with the CB on the top or bottom tube. The only reason it matters is I might make the slightly different on each end.

If I was starting over, I'd go buy a narrow parting tool. The thick centerband isn't as pleasing to my eye.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

With Slimlines, I make the centerband to sit between the tubes.

The centerband can be as wide as 3/4" without loosing contact with the transmission.

Drill a 1/4" hole in your centerband blank and turn on the mandrel. I use my pen mill to square the CB before turning.

Russianwolf

Like Tim, My centerbands are loose fitting so they are easy to change out.

Since I turn with John's custom bushings, I have a more limited size, as the center must be able to fit on the bushing with the upper blank still able to get purchase too. But since I tunr the upper and center as a unit, I'm able to get the diameters dead on.

you can see a couple examples on the Gallery and Pen pages of my site.

jking

Thanks for your responses. Good information for the future, but, I've already done the centerband glued to one of the tubes. I used Russ Fairfield's fatline pen as an example. As a result, the CB will not be exactly centered on the wood.

My original question remains whether the CB will look better on the top or bottom tube.

Russianwolf

I see says the blind man.

In that case, I'd go top. The extra length on the bottom of the pen is similar to a Euro and looks a bit more elegant to my taste.

I put the added center band on top. I sand (or mill) the blank and then as I glue the blank to the tube, I glue the band to the blank and tube. I have added bands to the top or middle (or both).
No rules.

Larry

Scott

Hi John,

I think I would also opt for the top. When you get it done, we'd love to see pictures!

Scott.

Top Bottom