Slimline problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Oahunative

Hi folks,

I made a simple pen using a 308 shell (pre-drilled and prepped) with Birds eye Maple as the top blank ... problem is when I use the pen the top blank actually spins from the downward pressure while writing causing the tip to retract.

Is there a simple fix for this? Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

There are some lower quality transmissions (the thing that extends the nib) that do that. Also, sometimes the refill bottoms out on the nib and does not lock into place. An easy way to see if that is the problem is to back the refill out of the transmission about a 1/2 turn. If it locks into place, then you have pushed the transmission in too far. At that point you need to disassemble the pen and not push it in so far the next time.

ngeb528

If you determine that the transmission is in too far, but can't or don't want to disassemble the pen, you can take the refill out and remove the black, plastic end, cut the refill tube a little shorter and replace the black, plastic end.
You'll have to use wire cutter to snip the tube and some needle nose, or small, plyers to bend the end of the tube back into shape but I've done it and it solves the problem.
I use that option only if the transmission is pushed in just a little bit too far. I wouldn't do that on a pen that I was selling or a more expensive one. I would disassemble it in that case.

Nancy

Oahunative

If you determine that the transmission is in too far, but can't or don't want to disassemble the pen, you can take the refill out and remove the black, plastic end, cut the refill tube a little shorter and replace the black, plastic end.
You'll have to use wire cutter to snip the tube and some needle nose, or small, plyers to bend the end of the tube back into shape but I've done it and it solves the problem.
I use that option only if the transmission is pushed in just a little bit too far. I wouldn't do that on a pen that I was selling or a more expensive one. I would disassemble it in that case.

Nancy

Hi Nancy... interesting concept, I will consider this suggestion.

Thank you

I've had some bad transmissions and have had the same problem. Picking up a disassembly tool set is really worth it to have on hand for just such occations. It is actually a very easy process to complete.

Top Bottom