Slimline pen kits question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Without naming specific vendors, I have noticed that the cost of slimline pen
kits can range in cost from under $2 to $7 or so. I have generally purchased the lower cost kits. Do some kits include better components or higher quality plating? Is there a reason why I should consider the higher priced kits. I am not sure that your everyday purchaser of a slimline kit would recognize any significant difference in the pens. What am I missing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I know that some have better platings like Rhodium, Black TI and Gold TI. But I'd be interested to know if the higher priced kits have better transmissions. It seems like the last few batches I've bought (lower priced kits), the transmissions are not as good. Seems like 1 out of 3 are bad.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm not sure I would equate price and quality, or every vendor could just raise the price and imply better parts.

There definitely are differences in transmissions, from one manufacturer to another. Before the advent of the $2 slimline, the transmissions were better quality. Now, I would advise you to try some, or ask the vendor if they feel they have "better" components in some.

I will tell you "cheap" sells, not only in slimlines but in most of the products penmakers purchase. And there are reasons why some are cheap and others are not.

Reactions: Big

sbwertz

Rockler has a deal right now for gold slimlines. 10 pen kits for $19.99 plus a free mandrel. I bought 20 kits and got 2 free mandrels for the Center for the Blind where I volunteer. When I told the store manager what I wanted it for, he gave it to me half off!...20 kits and 2 mandrels for $20. They seem to have a very nice plating as well.

Thank you Rockler!

Califo

I agree with yob. Recently I purchased $2 slimlines kits, mostly to give it to friends, but I noticed a few that did not work well. The mechanism aren't worth the hessle. I find that the extra dollar you pay for a slimline, makes a better pen

wyone

How wonderful Sharon.. :)

I bought the same 10 pen at reduced price get the mandrel free as well. Mine seems to not run true, but I am trying it in a lathe I have not used before. I should have another mandrel soon, so I can see if the issue is the mandrel or something with the lathe.

Last edited:

nava1uni

I have found that there are differences in components by the price of the kit. I have become very happy with the kits, all kinds, from Berea. The components work well, the plating appears to be more durable, and I have had not had any returns. With the better plating and components the price I can charge adequately re-coops the higher costs of the kits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom