Slimline made with horn from a Big Horn Sheep

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from K-9 Man

K-9 Man

Hello everyone,

Here are some pictures of a pen a co worker asked me to make out of horn from a big horn sheep. He plans on donating it for a raffle for the Big Horn Sheep Organization. I was able to get the bottom barrel of the pen out of one piece and then had to use two seperate piecess and glue them together on the top barrel. I decided not to use CA finish on this pen. I sanded it down to 12000 grit with the MM and left it at that.

Please any comments or tips for the next one I try to make for him is greatly appreciated. I always enjoy making pens out of unique materials.

Ernie

Attachments

• DSCN8307.jpg
    DSCN8307.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCN8308.jpg
    DSCN8308.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN8310.jpg
    DSCN8310.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 228
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

I have alwys wanted to make a pen from bighorn sheep horn. I actually made one from Pronghorn Antelope. I did do a CA finish on mine. Cool pen and congrats.

Kenny Durrant

VERY NICE. I've seen sheep horn at gun shows in the knife makers booths but they were too thin. I've droped the idea but now that I've seen yours I might rethink the thought. I hope the raffle goes well and I'm sure the pen will be a real hit.

plantman

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Ernie; I think a CA finish on a horn doesn't look natural, so your choise was correct. However, I don't care for the two piece barrel, just doesn't look professional. I would have added some type of ring or rings into the blank to offset this difference. Black, brass, or maybe leather. Since you were limited on the amount of horn you had to work with, I think you would have gotten more interest and better bids if you would have made the pen on a 30 Cal. bolt action kit. I find the people who can afford to hunt Big Horn Sheep, are interested in qualty, and money is usualy no object. Just my 2 cents worth. Jim S

AKPenTurner

Beautiful material. Here in AK, we have Dall Sheep, but those horns are coveted and used more often for carvings and the like. I don't know if I'd have the heart to cut one all apart for pens. Your pen, however, is tempting. Nice job!

K-9 Man

Beautiful material. Here in AK, we have Dall Sheep, but those horns are coveted and used more often for carvings and the like. I don't know if I'd have the heart to cut one all apart for pens. Your pen, however, is tempting. Nice job!

Thanks for your thoughts. I thought of that but wanted to make one pen out of total horn. I have a little left and I plan on using the horn along with some nice contrasting wood. Once completed I will post the pictures here.

Is it a reflection, or is the horn semi-translucent and you can see the tube through it? Specifically, the middle picture.

Looks pretty good. Definitely interesting.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Is it a reflection, or is the horn semi-translucent and you can see the tube through it? Specifically, the middle picture.

Having used the material before, yes it is semi-translucent, so it does in fact to be showing the tube. I paint the tube before use in it.

Having used the material before, yes it is semi-translucent, so it does in fact to be showing the tube. I paint the tube before use in it.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of horn being translucent.

Top Bottom