Slimline Kit problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

massman

I purchased a pretty large quantity of slimline kits in assorted finishes over the summer and have problems with black chrome and gun metal as it pertains to getting the cap to fit inside the clip. I ruined two pens trying to press the cap into the upper barrel and clip. I have found at least 20 of 100 kits with this problem.

I called woodturningz today and was simply told i needed to sand down the cap. (not all that easy) Is anyone else having this problem? I'm not all that impressed with the quality of the kits to begin with. I guess it goes back to the old "you get what you pay for". I am sticking with Arizona Silhouette or Craft Supply going forward.

Bernie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

Woodturningz doesn't make the kits they sell. Sometimes you have to sand the part to get it to fit and sometimes you have to add a little lock tite to make the parts stay together. Also, have you checked to make sure your tube doesn't have a kink in it or did you check to see if you had some dried glue in the tubes ? Those are two major causes of ruined pens.

massman

I know that they don't make the kits. It has nothing to do with the tube. you should be able to slip the cap through the clip with no real effort before you press it into the tube. You buy a kit for $1.40 you get that kind of quality.

Bernie

kghinsr

Bernie
when I encounter this problem I do two things One is to take a tube and press the clip onto the cap and then remove the tube (with force) or two I have a small round file and proceed to file the inside of the clip until it goes over the cap. either way its a pain in the butt but you didn't destroy anything.
ken

DocRon

Bernie
About two years ago when I started turning pens, the slimlines from PSI almost always had very tight fits between the clip and the top. Since I was new at it, I thought they were supposed to be that way.!! I worked out a little jig to hold the pieces steady enough to press them together before I put them into the pen. I am attaching a rough sketch of what I did. Used a small piece of drilled hardwood pen blank with a flat spot on the side to clear the body of the clip, held the pieces together, put them in the metal-working vise, and pressed them together, then pressed them into the blank. Since then, however, they have been much looser. Just manufacturing tolerances on these inexpensive components, I guess.

2006112213216_jigw.jpg

cozee

I have only had a few like that and with double plated finishes such as gun metal and black chrome. A quick hit with a reamer or file and all was well. Plating processes for the most part are fairly well exact but at times not all factors work as required and plating thicknesses can vary.

mick

Bernie, Ryan and the guys at Woodturningz are great guy and while the 1.40 pen kits are a great deal, you do ultimately get what you pay for. Stick with Ryan but move up to the Fancy pen kits. I use only Ti Gold and chrome from Woodturningz with the occassional satin pearl or gun metal thrown in and have never been disappointed. You'll be much more satisified with the quality as well as not having to fear that a customer will be bringing a bad pen back.

Ligget

I have noticed that too with some slimlines, I also use a small round file on the inside of the ring at the top of the clip.
My kits are from other sellers so it is definately a manufacturing problem.[:)]

gothycdesigns

For me so far, I have never really had a problem. But most of my Slimeline kits have been from Pens of Color. I think they sell the PSI kits. I got mine for 1.70. Some have been slightly loose, but I never really thought much on it. If there were really any problems, I would have to say it be the transmissions acting rough or sluggish. I too have been thinking on upgrading to a different style such as the Baron or Sierra or Statemens.

Ray
Gothyc Designs

massman

I was off today and attempted to finish this Slimline order for a customer and had to fix 9 of 11 caps and clips so they would fit. I did talk to Jeff at Woodturningz and he never heard of such a problem and has sold "thousands of these kits"??!!!??. Maybe I have to focus more on the "high end" stuff. This problem added hours to my work. This stuff is junk!!! I'm tossing the rest of my PSI Slimline kits. I have not had a problem with the Woodcraft kits. I dunno. My worst day with this hobby. Sorry to vent.

Bernie

fritzmccorkle

Jeff had never heard of this problem, but he's fairly new to penturning. i was listening in and told him exactly what the situation was and he passed this on to you word for word. Jeff also tried several times to find out what he could do for you and never was able to find that out. This is a common situation that i've encountered while making several maker's kits as well as over the phone. it's not an everyday occourance....but it happens. if they plate the parts slightly too thick they don't press together as easily. some of the kits we sell are psi and some are kits that we import ourselves so to be honest i'm not even sure this is a psi problem.

massman

Jeff told me he sold "thousands" of these kits with no problems and mentioned sending me new caps. New guys don't sell thousands of kits, and sending me replacement caps wouldn't solve the problem. I have pictures of over 20 kits that the cap will not fit into the clip. What else can I say other than the stuff I was sold is JUNK. I'm upset with myself over thinking I was getting a deal with your company and the super sale. I'll spend a few more bucks for quality. I wasted time and money. If I seem upset its because I spent the day cursing up a storm over this issue. Please take me off of your email list as well.
Thank you,

Bernie

WoodTurningz

Bernie - Even though we sell our pens at $1.70/ea, we do stand behind the kits that we sell! Jeff had asked you multiple times how we can take care of you, and that you were unable to offer a solution that fit your needs. If you would like, I would be more than happy to replace the clips & caps that you need for your pens - You just have to let me know how many there are and we'll get these going for you.

Also, I have had some problems with my battery on my new BMW this year - I should probably get a better vehicle since this random occurence makes it clear that my Z4 is JUNK. In the words of Bernie, "What else can I say other than the stuff I was sold is JUNK." - No... A call to dealer, with a suggested solution was the proper remedy for this problem. I guess I should spend a few more bucks next time for quality. This 5 minute fix left me feeling like Bernie: "If I seem upset its because I spent the day cursing up a storm over this issue. "

I'm sorry I'm sarcastic above, but it's to show a point - We strive for quality, but sometimes things happen that don't meet quality - PLEASE allow us a chance to fix your problem, instead of getting upset and not allowing us to provide a resolution to fit your needs.

Bernie - If there is anything I can do to make this right - By replacing kits or parts, please call me personally on Monday - I promise that I will treat you with the respect that you deserve, and will help you with your needs. I hope we can continue to work together in the future.

Thanks

Ryan

kf4knf

Well put Ryan! IMO, you have to give your supplier a chance to correct the situation and it sounds like that did not happen because someone got too hot headed.

Bernie, Keep in mind Woodturningz doesnt make all the products they sell. Sometimes they have to take the complaints when the manufacture makes the oooops. What if a pen you sold a customer has a bad refill but it worked for you? You will then take the complaint from the customer. That is how the supply chain works. Find a way to fix the problem instead of burning bridges.

Last, if you have a problem with a supplier, I dont this this is the place to be taking out your anger. No one gains anything by putting someone else down.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I saw this post earlier in the week and figured if you have a problem with a slim line I wonder how you deal with child proof cap on an aspirin bottle.
I have been buying "the lowly" slim line kits from Ryan for over 2 years.
I have bought the $1.40, the "fancy" ones, and the TN gold ones.
I continue to buy the fancy and Tn gold because I like those clips better.
You will not find any one who is a more " customer service oriented" Distributor than Ryan and his sales manager Fritz.I have never dealt with Jeff but the case was also true with Jason who used to be there.
All this being said.
The situation you speak of is not PSI specific.
I once ordered slims from CSUSA where I could select the clip.When I got the kits they came with the stock finial inserted through the hole in the stock clip. The rifle clips came separate but were included in the same price.
I had to get the finial out of the hole in the stock clip and then reinsert it through the custom rifle clip.
Neither one was an easy task.They certainly should have been designed better or QC should have spotted it before they were shipped out. If nothing else they should have just sent me what I expected.A finial and a rifle clip.
I didn't call them up I dealt with it.I didn't post they sold junk and made me do too much work, I dealt with it.
Yes these kits are inexpensive.I certainly hope your eye for quality control is the same for the pens you make as it is for the minor problems with double plated components.
Especially after hearing the other side of the story.After dealing with Ryan for 2 years I know which story I am going to believe.
Signed Eagle
Purchaser of high quality low cost kits at Woodturningz.If they are off a little I deal with it.Heck I toss most of the parts anyway just to make my pens look different.[:D]

massman

You drive a BMW..very nice.. comparison to a slimline kit for $1.70??!!I have been a salesman for over 20 years in my "real life" and know the importance of working with both vendors and customers. When I was told that "I have sold thousands of these kits and NEVER heard of this problem" I knew I was waisting my time. I have had this problem on occasion but not to this extent. I was a little hot and this is not the place to vent. I had no time for you to send me replacement caps and told Jeff that I wanted to let him know there might be a problem. I had a decent order of Slimlines that needed to be finished by this weekend for a good customer. I have visited Woodcraft and completed the order. I don't like the Slimline pen kit, but the order included 6 Sedona's and 3 Emporer's with these Slimline's.

Bottom Line: I wasn't looking for any deals because I was having this problem. I wanted to let you know of a potential problem and was up against time to complete these pens. Your employee did ask me what he couold do, but at the same time he made it seem like I was doing something wrong with the kit.

I want nothing and should not have posted my frustration.

Enough said already [B)]

Bernie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom