Slimline bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gmcnut

Hi all,

Just wondering. The simplest set of bushings is the set of three slimline bushings (1a) right? :confused:

Wouldn't three centerbands from the simple inexpensive slimline kits basicly be a set of slimline bushings?

Just wondering....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

monkeynutz

Besides the obvious use as a size gauge for your turning, an additional benefit of bushings is to get working space between your blanks, and between the blanks and your lathe centers, mandrel or thumbnut. This gives you added room for sanding, and keeps you from knocking the edges off your expensive tools. Rather than using discarded center bands, if cost is an obstacle, you can turn your own bushings from corian, or other suitable material.

Russianwolf

and to actually answer the question:

They would be pretty close, but I think the inside diameter is a little bit loose compared to the bushings.

The centerband will slide over the trannie pretty easily, but the tube is tighter. I have some that will fall off the tranny of you turn it downside up.

gmcnut

Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have many sets of bushings as I'm sure most all of you do. I have two sets of slimline bushings and I sometimes use one or two here and there with other bushing sets to give me some added clearance for my turning tools.

I was just curious if anyone else had pondered how different a slimline bushing is -vs- a slimline centerband. Case closed.

Top Bottom