Slightly customized Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sandy H.

Sandy H.

Here is one I did for a friend. I like making nice looking pens, but I also like trying to figure out a good 'fit' for someone if I can.

This guy is a co-worker that was a DJ earlier in his life and still enjoys making music and good audio. I was originally thinking of getting a record from Goodwill, crushing it into little bits and casting in clear resin. Not a terrible idea, I guess, but one night I noticed some ends of an RCA cable were pretty close to the OD of the tip on a Slimline. Hmmmmmm. . .

Some cutting and grinding on the RCA ends, casting some shielding on a pair of tubes, along with the strain relief from the connectors, Dremel work on a Sierra style clip and a Toni-twist center band resulted in this.

The workmanship is really OK at best, but the overall effect just seemed to work for me. The pen, like me, is a bit rough around the edges, but he really liked it and I don't think it is the least original creation I've ever made. For sure it would have been cooler to make it a click using the inner conductor as the actuator, but that was a bit outside of my skill level at this point.

So, hope someone finds it interesting.

Sandy.

Attachments

• ben pen 1.JPG
    ben pen 1.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 371
  • ben pen 2.JPG
    ben pen 2.JPG
    392.3 KB · Views: 436
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sandy H.

I really appreciate the comments. While I'm not likely to be a 'go-to' turner anytime soon, it is nice to hear from others that this project was at least interesting. I did see my co-worker using the pen today and that is also a very nice feeling for sure.

Sandy.

stonepecker

Amazing pen. Love the look and the thought that went into it.
As someone said earlier, that is a pen to grab and run with.

Very nice work. Great design.

Tom T

Sandy like the rest this is a really well thought out pen. The work is amazing to me. Put together very well. Would have never dreamed of such an idea.
Keep turning and post more pens.

Top Bottom