Slight CA finishing problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

abaum

Today was a great pen making day. The temp was perfect in the shop, my tools were at their sharpest, and I did my best CA finish ever. Then I went to assemble the pen. The end parts were not fitting into the tubes as tight as I would like so I used a little CA w/ accelerant to hold them together. I think I got some of the accelerant on my hands because when I touched the finished wood, a white cloud appeared. Is there anyway to get rid of the cloud/whiteness?

adam

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Can you MM that spot again? I've used the MM pads (wet) and removed blemishes I found after assembly. Good Luck.

ldb2000

Stop using CA for gluing parts into a finished pen. A little glue causes a big problem. Easiest way to fix may be to disassemble and redo the finish.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

And now he can't , without difficulty , disassemble the pen to refinish it because he glued the parts on .

Do NOT use CA to fix a pen with loose parts !!!! Use Loctite to fix this problem . Any color Loctite , I use Red but any color will work . Loctite is very strong when used for this but is reversible if the need should ever arise .

Ok , that said ..... Again ! . Heat can be used to soften the CA but it will be difficult to get enough heat on the part without damaging the coating on the part (if it's a 24k gold kit there is an epoxy coating on the parts) . Use a heat gun (a hair dryer probably won't work but you can try it) to heat the part and a transfer punch to knock the part out when the glue gets soft . More then likely the pen is toast but it's worth a try .

Last edited:

Craftdiggity

And now he can't , without difficulty , disassemble the pen to refinish it because he glued the parts on .

Do NOT use CA to fix a pen with loose parts !!!! Use Loctite to fix this problem . Any color Loctite , I use Red but any color will work . Loctite is very strong when used for this but is reversible if the need should ever arise .

Ok , that said ..... Again ! . Heat can be used to soften the CA but it will be difficult to get enough heat on the part without damaging the coating on the part (if it's a 24k gold kit there is an epoxy coating on the parts) . Use a heat gun (a hair dryer probably won't work but you can try it) to heat the part and a transfer punch to knock the part out when the glue gets soft . More then likely the pen is toast but it's worth a try .

Even if the heat wrecks the plating, couldn't he just replace the part after fixing the finish?

Chris

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Sounds to me like you have a new shop pen. Make another and hold it together with LockTite. I can be cleaned up with a little isoptopyl rubbing alcohol that won't damage the finish.

Top Bottom