Sled size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

srs64

Ok got the Ridgid table saw, wanting to build a sled just afraid of going to little or to big never had one cant wait to get one
Any rules of thumb?

The top is
27 front to back
40 left to right

Any input welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

Hi, it basically comes down to what size pieces you are cutting? If you are wanting to cut pen blanks, I'd make it so that the mitre slot was on the edge of your piece of ply and the other end long enough to be able to support the longest blank that you would want to cut. I use a bandsaw for all my cutting and have made it, so that I can cut blanks full length plus a bit for trimming, then reset the stop to cut for the next size or to length for 2 piece pens. Most are made quite small as I don't have much room to store them. I have them to suit a lot of different angles, etc. I think from memory I have about 20 different cutting sleds, from circle cutting to square cuts for blanks, cutting dowel even one for cutting round logs to square, all are adjustable for different lengths.
Kryn

Skie_M

Make at least 2 crosscut sleds .... one big one for handling large stock like full sheets of plywood and the more medium/large size jobs, and the other small for handling detail work like pen blanks and small/medium parts.

Would be nice to also have it set up to make good full contact with TWO mitre slots in the table, and also set it up so that it's very difficult to cut yourself while using it. Look up Matthias Wandel on Youtube. He's got some really great videos. :)

jttheclockman

As you get more and more into woodworking in general you will be making many jigs for all your tools. As far as the tablesaw goes the sled does not have to be large for pen blanks. But needs to be accurate. The fence of the sled needs to be at a perfect 90 degrees to the blade. I like to make the bed long enough to pick up both miter slots for stability and accuracy. The fence should be high enough to keep your fingers away from the blade. This is the whole idea of sleds. make things safer.

If you get into segmenting you will be making more specific sleds for tasks that relate to segmenting.

I have included a couple photos of a couple sleds. You basically can get a relation to the size. Nothing fancy but very accurate and repeatable cuts.

randyrls

Sherman; If you go to this library article on page 14 you will see a few photos of my table saw sled. I have several jigs that mount on the sled for making cuts. Make sure what ever sled you make that the saw blade is hidden inside the sled and doesn't come out of the sled closest to you. Mine is 24" wide and 30" deep 1/2" plywood it is a standard size. The two black handles make sure that my hands and fingers are far away from that spinning blade. I use clamps and hold-downs when cutting small pieces.

srs64

Thanks guys got 4 more days of vacation left, I going to get busy.
Will post a picture or 2 of my first one :biggrin:

Top Bottom