Skip's Alternative Scallop Machine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Don't laugh, it works!!:biggrin:

I was messing with the some of my homemade gadgets and re-assembled some of them to make alternative scallops.

This was the results of my quick trial run. Could end up making a pretty neat blank.

Although all the parts are bodged together, I did take a lot of time to set the blade height and to set it to spin parallel to the cross slide travel.

I used a 1mm slitting saw and some white plastic sheet.

This is what I like doing even more than making finished pens:biggrin:

Attachments

• ScallopMachine1.jpg
    ScallopMachine1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 468
  • ScallopMachine2.jpg
    ScallopMachine2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 431
  • Scallops3.jpg
    Scallops3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 369
  • Scallops4.jpg
    Scallops4.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 321
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

doing the blanks that way also opens up the possibility of cutting then casting if you wanted a webbish look with NO lines....hmmmm..

SonOfMartin

Absolutely fascinating. I'm going to my local flea market to find a junk 10" drill press. There's usually 1 or 2 a week out there that "don't work"....I never thought of taking the body/lift mechanism and mounting it to the lathe bed.....hummm...the gears are turning and need some grease....

cnirenberg

Steven,
Way too cool. I love the drillpress attached to the lathe like that. Could be used to mill some flats and make your nutless bolt out of plastic........I'll be thinking this one through this weekend. Thanks.

GoodTurns

yeah...he posts these "things" he "just cobbled together".... not only could I not even conceive of half the things he makes work....mine would involve two trips to the bank for more money and at least one to the hospital to reattach the parts I cut off!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
:eek:I believe my dentist uses one of those.:eek:

Skip, will a different diameter blank require resetting the blade height to keep the joints touching?

Mike

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
:eek:I believe my dentist uses one of those.:eek:

Skip, will a different diameter blank require resetting the blade height to keep the joints touching?

Mike

Yes Mike, unfortunately. But it's not a big deal really as there seems to be a range of about 2mm on the diameter 'forgiveness', if you know what I mean. I guess it's 2mm because I used 1mm sheet.
What I'll do is cut loads of different depth cuts on practice wood ( Broom handle) and then turn them down to various pen sized diameters and record the results for future reference.
The starting diameter means nothing

I like Jon's idea of casting into the lines too:biggrin:

PTownSubbie

Skippy,

You beat me to it!! I was trying to do the same thing. Not as nice of a jig though.

Your pics helped me with some of the difficulties I was having.

I guess you saved me some wasted blanks!!!!

Thanks!!

Top Bottom