Skippy's O-Ring pinchuck improved

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Over the years I have made several pin chucks like the one Skippy invented a few years ago.

http://content.penturners.org/library/tools_and_jigs/pinchuck.pdf

I recently needed another diameter and wanted to make a few modifications. Rather than filing a flat, I decided to mill a slot to fit the rubber O-ring and also got tired of losing the O-ring. For this one I drill a hole in the end to fit the cut O-ring and milled a deeper slot near the end that went through to the hole. Then I could thread the O-ring through the holes, tie a knot on the end and it stays in place.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PC.JPG
    PC.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 508
  • PC on lathe.JPG
    PC on lathe.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 527
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is brilliant Bruce!!! The slot is a fantastic improvement and thanks kindly for the mention!:wink:

IPD_Mr

Bruce - Very nice design, especially for the O ring hole. Looks like this was made of brass, if so is there a chance of issues down the road with a soft metal? In basic operation I don't see how there could be, but for example a heavy catch, is there a risk of bending? I am sure there are days that one of these made of titanium would be too soft for me. :redface:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Bruce - Very nice design, especially for the O ring hole. Looks like this was made of brass, if so is there a chance of issues down the road with a soft metal? In basic operation I don't see how there could be, but for example a heavy catch, is there a risk of bending? I am sure there are days that one of these made of titanium would be too soft for me. :redface:

Watcha saying there Mikey, bit ham fisted?? Are we going to have to add another nickname?? Tam the Ham perhaps, or how about Ham-o-Tam?:laugh:
Just kidding of course:wink:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam

Watcha saying there Mikey, bit ham fisted?? Are we going to have to add another nickname?? Tam the Ham perhaps, or how about Ham-o-Tam?:laugh:
Just kidding of course:wink:
Most of the mandrels and chucks I make are from brass and I've had pretty good luck. I also do most of my turning on the metal lathe, so perhaps that's why I have fewer catches. No bent ones so far. If it did bend, I think I could make 3 or 4 in brass in the time it would take me to make 1 in titanium. That stuffs too hard for me.

Top Bottom