Skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgelnett

I was wondering what skew bevel most of you like to use? There is flat, convex and concave.
Most that use a grinder to sharpen their skew with have a concave bevel.
If you use a sanding belt or stone the bevel will be flat.
Convex is created on the grinding wheel with a rolling action to create the shape. Eli Avirsera uses this shape. He came up with it when his son was learning to turn and found it to be safer. Has something to do with there is a better chance the bevel will hit first when approaching the wood.
Eli cut in the forward and reverse direction with his skew.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I am not sure what you are considering concave. I use either a straight or convex profile with a hollow grind if that is what you mean. as for a convex grind that would not work. I have never heard of a concave profile but I also know I have not seen it all. I actually prefer the convex profile but think it is a personal thing like liking chocolate or vanilla.

I also prefer the hollow grind and chose my sharpening equipment partially due to that preference. but again others like a flat bevel and that is just fine as well. there is a trade off. hollow grind does not stay sharp as long. since the bevel actually rubs the work a convex bevel would keep the cutting edge from contacting the work. You may be able to make such a situation work but you are creating a lot of work for yourself or not using the skew with correct technique. I can only image it is being used as a scraper with a convex bevel.

KenV

My observation is the convex vs hollowgrind does not make skew skills better, but does decrease the catches. It is easier to do/keep with honing the skew too.

I think it takes a bit more force to feed the cut -- and is more deliberate for me.

I have both straight and Lacer style curved edges and find the straight works well in the smaller sizes (and is the only practical edge with a round skew - -1/4 and 3/8 rod)

I have also noticed that Lacer suggests a bevel length of 1 1/2 times the thickness. I have also observed that Ed Davidson (YoYo Spin) uses a bevel length about equal to the thickness of the steel. Ed does a lot of plastics - but saw some knock-out lovely one piece wood yo-yo art pieces of his.

Bottom line -- see what works for you to give you best control and best results.

Top Bottom