Skew or Scraper?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabeeler

Which will give the smoothest finish, a sharp skew or a sharp scraper?

Reason I ask is that the cut of a skew is likened to that of a hand plane which is followed by a scraper in furniture making for a really smooth surface before sanding, if any. I am curious if the same relationship is true in turning, i.e. routhing gouge, skew then scraper.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
A consensus is a challenge for someone to prove you are wrong. There was once a consensus that the sun traveled around an earth that was flat. [}:)][}:)]

PenWorks

At the symposium, I was surprised to see most demontrators using a scraper and either taking the burr off and burnishing the end and using a scaper to make their cuts (Derry) or leaving the burr on and using it as a negative end scrpaer ( S. Batty) I did not see Derry or S. Batty use a skew the whole time. Food for thought before you walk off the flat end of the earth [:)]

beamer

For what it's worth, it's been my experience that the grain really plays a factor in both turning and flat work. I've been able to forego the scraper on some panels I planed - I couldn't improve the surface the plane left behind so it stayed unscraped. On the other hand, some curly stuff I worked with didn't like anything BUT a scraper to come out nice and smooth.

I've had similar experience with turning, too. A skew almost always leaves the best surface on long-grain cutting when used in the planing position. If you've got endgrain or some real squiggly grain going on, sometimes a freshly sharpened scraper (or the skew in negative rake scraping mode) can yield a much finer result.

When I turn my lidded boxes, I try to remember to run a nice smooth shoulder cut on the endgrain pieces before I hollow. If i forget and start hollowing, I can come back with my skew in negative rake mode to get something almost as good on those rims.

Sometimes it just takes trying it before you know for sure which works best in that situation. Slicing action can almost always be relied upon in most cases. When it cant, scraping usually comes to the rescue :)

Dario

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />At the symposium, I was surprised to see most demontrators using a scraper and either taking the burr off and burnishing the end and using a scaper to make their cuts (Derry) or leaving the burr on and using it as a negative end scrpaer ( S. Batty) I did not see Derry or S. Batty use a skew the whole time. Food for thought before you walk off the flat end of the earth [:)]

Is it possible that the choice was because it is safer to use a scraper? I mean...when you are out demonstrating, you don't want any catch do you? [:D]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You are all wrong.

Gouge, then lots and lots of sand paper.[:D]

Truth be told, I can honestly say I have never ever used a skew,
I know that all turners swear by them, but I just don't have a clue how to use one and I'm a bit chicken to try. [:I]

There are very few tools or machines that intimidate me and I work with test kit that can generate 1/2 million volts, on a daily basis, but the art of using a skew just beats me!!!!!!

Originally posted by dabeeler
<br />Which will give the smoothest finish, a sharp skew or a sharp scraper?

Reason I ask is that the cut of a skew is likened to that of a hand plane which is followed by a scraper in furniture making for a really smooth surface before sanding, if any. I am curious if the same relationship is true in turning, i.e. routhing gouge, skew then scraper.

Depends

Are you using the skew like a scraper or using the scraper like a skew?

BTW - I use a cabinet scraper when I'm finish turning the outside of bowls. I have a curved one for the inside that I'm not quite happy with yet - still working on it.

LEAP

Skiprat,
If you get a chance watch Alan Lacers skew videos. I was terified of the damn thing after a few bad catches. After about three times through the video I have been using the skew on every pen I make. I can't believe how much easier it is when you know how. I'm still not very good at sharpening the damn thing but a diamond stone usually repairs my foul ups on the grinder.

Skip.
Second Phil's comment.. I used to have no end of trouble with my acrylics.. always used a round nose because that's what I learned... after watching some videos about the skew, it works like a charm... I do round my blanks before I switch to the skew, but now usually use the roughing gouge, then the skew... also use the skew to shape and smooth my pepper mills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom