Skew chisel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

I've looked through a few older posts already, but I'm still wondering about pinnacle cytogenetic turning tools. Are they better than HSS? And what about woodriver tools? I've got a 10% off thing for woodcraft until the end of may, so I'm not really interested in other tools right now (bens best, tomson, HF). Getting to the point, what are your thoughts on the 2 brands? Thanks.
(note: I'm looking at a 1" oval skew.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

I looked at Pinnacle & Wood River tools, liked the Pinnacle ¾" cryogenic skew only because not Oval type. I am not a big fan of oval skew chisels no matter who makes them.

Several years back bought Henry Taylor KRYO Round edge ½" Skew to replace ½ HT HSS skew at end of its life. My old HSS skew better tool. I see no difference in need to sharpen.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Joe S.

Thanks for your input. I'm still not sure which one I like better... I guess it boils down to this: is pinnacle worth the extra money over woodriver? I'll find out one way or another! :biggrin::biggrin:

KenV

Joe -- it is about the steel quality and the heat treat quality. Better heat treat and better grade steels generally result in more consistency and better wearability -- the steel does not feel like it could be sharper as quickly.

M2 HSS is about the same for steel composition -- the cyro is part of a generally better heat treat process.

My rule of thumb - based on a non-statistical sample is that the asian import value priced do not have as consistent a heat treat outcomes. Some are excellent and some are not so excellent and some are like butter knives.

Joe S.

for the slight difference in price, I'd buy a 1" Thompson skew and make my own handle.

Any links? I really like that idea, but I heard he doesn't make oval skews, but I could be wrong. And now that I think about it, how hard would it be to get a bar of HSS and make a homemade skew??? just thinking out loud. :rolleyes:

The Penguin

personally, I don't see the benefit of an oval skew - and if it was that great, I would think that top-name turners like Alan Lacer and Richard Raffan (among others) would be marketing them in their signature lines of tools.

KenV

Thompson is top drawer steel ( A-10) with high quality heat treat --

But he does not make an oval skew -- the flat one is quite nice though.

Top Bottom