Sketchup Potential

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

Good evening, everyone.
I've been on the forum a couple years now and it's great. Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice, inspiring pictures, and willingness to help newbies.

I'm interested in making segmented pens. Also, I use Sketchup for designing other, larger, (simpler, more square) woodworking projects. I contacted the author of a Sketchup book to see if he could give me a brief lesson on designing round, segmented pen bodies in Sketchup, as I could not figure out how to do it myself. He was happy to do so.

The steps he sent me seem to work well, although I have not been able to spend the time to battle-test them. But I was thinking....

Maybe he would want to do some kind of tutorial for the IAP? Maybe contribute some kind of document to the library, or even record some Youtube videos. Maybe?

I can see a series of lessons on handling different drawing challenges such as curved bodies, segmenting (straight and angled), importing photos of kit hardware, overlaying the drawing with specific material patterns, drawing threads for kitless pens, etc.).

Maybe nobody but me wants to draw their pens first, I'm a classic over-thinker. But if you think it might have value, I could get back w/ the guy to see if he's interested

What do y'all think? Any votes yes/no...or better ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
YES, YES, YES! I just had a conversation several weeks ago with a member about this very thing. I would love to be able to use sketch-up, I just can't get a handle on it on my own.

WalkOn

Sounds interesting Rink, always good learning new stuff.

Would you suggest downloading Sketchup "Make", which is (I'm thinking) the free version?

Thanks, Kev

magpens

If Sketchup allows you to do a 3D preview of what your segmented blank will look like, I am all for it. Our local Lee Valley Tools puts on small-group tutorials on using Sketchup for a reasonable fee ($45). Maybe other tool stores in the US put on seminars like this. I have never used Sketchup but I think there is a free download version.

Rink

Sounds interesting Rink, always good learning new stuff.

Would you suggest downloading Sketchup "Make", which is (I'm thinking) the free version?

Thanks, Kev

Yep, I use the free version. No way I could justify the $500 or whatever for the big version. But the free version does way more than I will ever need...i think!

carlmorrell

I have way too many hobbies. Anyhow, one of these days, I am going to make an enclosure for a servo subwoofer. I downloaded the free copy of google sketchup, a few weeks later, this is what I came up with: (sides and top removed)

Attachments

• combined.jpg
    combined.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 135

Rink

Only 4 votes so far. Anyone else interested in having custom Sketchup tutorials for penmaking? Don't know if we could do it, but I only want to pursue it if there's broad interest.

Rink

Wayne - on those two images you posted...is there a tutorial or instructions on how those were produced?

jimofsanston

Hey anyone having trouble downloading the free version? It keeps giving me the Pro version on trial. If anyone has a link please post it. thanks.

its_virgil

I've tried twice, quite seriously, to learn sketch up and found it very difficult and confusing. There must be similar software easier (for me at least) to use. I will follow thus post with interest.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom